View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Student Uniforms? 
All-star
All-star

What does everyone think of school uniforms? When I read what Janie's supervising teacher said about not wanting to teach dirty children, I was even happier that our school has uniforms. They are reletively inexpensive and consist of khaki pants, t-shirts, collared shirts and jumpers for the girls. I know that I really do not think about a student's status because they all look the same.

As teachers I do not think any of us would mistreat a child based on their appearance. However, if Janie's supervising teacher was prone to this, then we know our students are probably not above this either. What are your thoughts on school uniforms?

Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I had a professor during college make the same statement to my class about the children who are "dirty". I agree that school uniforms would help to solve the problem of teachers that mistreat children because of their appearance. My question is what about the teachers that mistreat students who are of a different race, religion, etc.? We unfortunately have to face the facts that their are teachers in the world that do this

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I am all for school uniforms. I think it would change a lot of things including how students feel about themselves and each other. I don't have a problem teaching a 'dirty' child, but I do have a problem teaching children that have the attitude that I'm better than you because I have better, expensive clothes. This attitude comes across big time in small groups. Include uniforms for teachers also. It would make my mornings a lot easier.

Maria Caldwell

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I think school uniforms is the way to go. I like the idea because students would be limited in making strings, zippers, and buttons toys. My Kinders wear clothes that have numerous strings, zippers, and pockets. It is very distracting to me and other children when someone is playing with their clothes.
Last week Catawba County Schools dress code was in the local newspaper. I had the secretary to copy it and send it to all the teachers. I needed a copy to send to my parents. I have a girl who wants to wear tops that do not cover her belly. I get tired of seeing half naked little girls. I did send a note home to the parents after the second time this occurred. The next time, one of her parents will have to bring her something to change into. Yes, uniforms sound like a very good idea.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I have 2 boys and I'm in favor of it. You wouldn't believe how much time is lost in the morning with my 9 yr. old fretting over clothes that might not be considered COOL enough.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:09 pm
All-star
All-star

It's interesting that at my husband's work, they just went to optional uniforms for everyone (office, plant, maintenance, etc.). First of all, I told my husband to go for it because the company who supplies the uniforms launders them each week (less washing for me!) Anyway, my husband is the one who developed the idea. He is looking at it as a team approach and having everyone to feel as if they are a player on the same team. Again as in schools, I think this will help moral and with standing out as a certain social class. I'll let you know how it works.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I think school uniforms would cut down on problems of "in fashion" blues for the kids. Catawba Intermediate is looking into school uniforms for next year.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I too believe that school uniforms would solve alot of problems in schools. Sometimes kids can be so mean to each other. Most of the time this is due to the way they are dressed. I feel that school uniforms would make things so much easier on the self-esteem of children. Clothes, shoes, etc. is so expensive these days and lots of parents can't afford to buy the things that are considered COOL. Like someone else said - Let's make teachers wear them too! I get tired of sitting in the floor and getting snot and glue on my good clothes! Our principal will not let us have casual Friday's or dress down days. She said that if we wanted to be treated like professionals, we needed to dress like professionals. I would like to wear scrubbs! Aren't nurses and doctors professioanls? If I could do this, maybe I wouldn't mind getting so dirty with them on the playground.

Shannon

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Kate, I'm undecided about school uniforms. I appreciate both sides of this issue. However, concerning dirty children, the problems we see at our school are hygiene related. Students who come to school smelling like urine, wearing dirty clothes, and teeth not brushed wouldn't benefit a great deal by wearing uniforms.
It is sad.

Darla

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I am in favor of school uniforms. Besides the competition among students over who's wearing the best clothes, I'm tired of working so hard to look more fashionable than my students!! :D Some of their parents obviously have more money to spend on their clothes than I do!

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I am in favor of school uniforms as well. I am like Maria, I think it was her. I am tired of seeing girls wear inappropriate clothes THAT THEIR PARENTS BUY! I don't understand why you would see your little girl to school with a see through shirt on. There are many girls in the fourth and fifth grades that need to dress more appropriately. School uniforms would help. We are all the time calling parents to bring clothes that are more appropriate.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not sure how I feel about school uniforms. If clothing is a problem at a school I can see the benefit and I also see it as beneficial in middle schools and high schools. I still think, even with uniforms, many children will come to school dirty. I have students in my class that have accidents in their beds and school uniforms will not help them smell better. They will still look & smell dirty and thier uniforms will eventually be dirty as well. When it comes to these problems students need to learn "healthy habits" and about germs.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I am certain that I am not in favor of school uniforms. Like Darla said, students who have problems with hygeine, dirty fingernails etc. will continue to have those problems. I don't mean to sound shallow but I can not imagine a more depressing thing for me (or my daughter) to have to get up each morning and put on a uniform to be trapped in all day. Teachers would be reqired to wear them if students would and I could see my self going into a depression over wearing a uniform day in and day out. My clothes are an expression of who I am---hopfully other things are too, but I am not ready to give up my choice to express myself through what I wear. Furthermore, when school is over students will go out into the "real world" where, in most instances, they will not continue to wear uniforms. Everytime it comes up in my school district, I vote no.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I am in favor of uniforms. There are some big differences in the style and price of clothes that my students wear. This would cut down on this issue. I have also had to address a few girls about their choice in clothes (belly shirts and short shorts). This would no longer have to be a concern for me. I would also like uniforms for the teachers. My morning time would be so much easier and less frustrating...that is as long as the uniform is nice looking and well fitted. I don't want to have to wear someting for 27 more years that makes me look like a sack.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:16 am
All-star
All-star

I'm with Jill. I would love to have uniforms for both students and teachers. I'm all for making life as stress-free as possible. I have heard several of the teachers at my school say they would like to have uniforms for themselves as well.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:31 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, my school actually tried the uniforms a couple of years ago. The first year they were optional for students. We did have some students who participated but many did not. The next year, they were supposed to be mandatory but that did not fly. The parents called to complain because they were having to buy two different sets of clothes, the uniforms and after-school/weekend clothes. This really hurt the students who could not afford to have the "nicer clothes" anyways. It did not take us long to realize that come about Thursday of each week the "not so clean kids" clothes were really starting to smell badly because they were wearing the same ones everyday of the week without washing them. As for me, I WAS extremely bored and hated having to wear the same things to work everyday. It was awful when I had to go somewhere directly after work, especially if it was the same place two days in a row. I am against uniforms. In our times now, students look at others shoes as much as they do their clothes. Students were still wearing their$120 shoes while others were wearing old and dirty shoes. The differences in dress code did not change the ways the students viewed other children. They all knew who was "better off" than they were. I believe I would change schools before I would do the uniform thing again.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]