View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Opening a can of worms! 
All-star
All-star

I was interested in finding out how the rest of the world felt about the rebel flag so I did a web search. I discovered a very interesting story out of Florida with Gov. Jeb Bush. If you'd like to read the article here is the link:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/021701/Stat ... _reb.shtml

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:02 pm
All-star
All-star

It's only a can of worms depending on how one personally feels about the flag or if your a politician. Personally, I did not realize that there was a problem until four years ago when we starting house hunting. We were interested in buying our present home, but the neighbor had the Confederate flag hanging from his flag post. My husband said, "There might be a problem." Because we were really interested in living in the neighborhood the rest of our lives, I knocked on neighboring doors and asked about the neighbor. The neighbors had they did not thank there was a problem. So, we bought the house and the flag people are our best neighbors. I am glad we did not let the flag deter our decision to buy this house.
I had no clue that anyone thought the flag represented hatred. I have never felt that way about the flag. To me it only represented part of history. It could represent both. Maybe it does represent both. Anything can have more than one meaning.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Being from the south I never thought there was anything bad about the confederate flag until a short time ago. I think the problem is not with the symbol itself, but the attitude of the person displaying it. Why take away an innocent portayal of one's heritage if you just think it means "I'm from the South"? If not allowed to display this proudly, it could mean taking away one's right to freedom of expression.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I personally view the rebel flag as a part of this country's history nothing more nothing less. It has no racial meaning to me. I did refuse to let my husband buy one in Myrtle Beach about 12 years ago. Because of the uproar in the area I feared him having it - not that he had a racial purpose - just the attitudes of those around us.

Maria Caldwell

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]