View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 White----Like Me? 
All-star
All-star

Even though I am a white, female raised in a middle class( lower middle class) family, I know too well that I am not exactly like all the other white females who were brought up the same way. The idea of "Worlds in our heads" rings very true to me. There are experiences from my past that have marked me for life----events unlike those shared by my fellow white females. I believe that we, all to often are willing to see the differences between us and other cultures, genders, religions, etc, but we ignore the fact that each individual, no matter how much we may appear to look alike, are actually quite different. And you can never speak for another person because you never really know what it is like to be them. Many of us are white---but are you white like me?

Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Penny,
I believe you raised a good point. I also grew up in a white middle class family but I am sure we different in ways or beliefs pertaining to religion, class, gender, etc. I'm also sure we can speak of similarities and share our stories, but even though we are the same color, I believe their would be significant differences. I am white, but I'm not sure to the degree how much I'm white like you.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:43 am
All-star
All-star

You are right Penny. I never thought of like this when I was reading this. We just hear so much about differences being race or gender related. There are lots of white people that I can think or right now that are far different from me and the beliefs that I have (thank goodness!). We don't know how people feel or react to certain situations because we aren't them. God made us all different and that is a good thing.

Shannon

Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]