View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Rebel Flag Decision Reversed 
All-star
All-star

As of Tuesday of this week, the ban of wearing Rebel flags in the high school was reversed. They said that as long as they did not "say" anything to violate or discriminate another race, it was okay to wear them. However, 5 students were sent home from a middle school in our county after that for wearing the Rebel Flag. The difference they said that it was stated in the particular middle school's handbook that they could not be worn. A local minister from one of the black communities is leading a protest this weekend in Lenoir. This is really going a long ways. Shameful to say, I attended South Caldwell HS and graduated in 1995. Throughout my elementary, middle and high school years, I never attended school with anything other than white students. I feel that banning it from a middle school that is culturally diverse and not for a HS that is predominantly white says way too much about the political aspects and bias that is handed down from our elected officials. How can what is good for the goose not be good for the gander? I am interested to see where this issue in our county heads. It is said that different policies are obviously different is different schools within the same community all because of the populations they serve. I mean--come on lets be real. They must realize how racist this is. How many of you have students in your class or at your school that have a Dixie Outfitters t-shirt or another article of clothing that displays the rebel flag?

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]