View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A Charlotte HS changes mascott 
All-star
All-star

West Charlotte HS had voted to change it's mascott from an Indian (Bow & Arrow = school newspaper, and Tomahawk = yearbook). One move towards teaching children to look at what they do and how it affects others. Next week they vote on a new mascott. Small steps...

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:14 am
All-star
All-star

I have been a St. Stephens Indian all my life. Four years ago when we were getting ready to move into a new elementary school, the principal thought we needed to make a break from the high school and the indian mascot. The community went off! They called the principal, the county office, even the superintendant. We are still the St. Stephens Indians and if this is any indication, we always will be.
You see, they thought as the school in Charlotte that we are being racial and so on. The indians had a lot to do with our history. There is nothing derogitory about it that I see.

Proud to be called a St. Stephens Indian
Maria Caldwell

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:23 am
All-star
All-star

Yes Marie! It could be worse! I graduated from a high school (Granite Falls High School) with a mascot of Blue Demons.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Well I was a Red Devil...but it all comes down to school pride. I don't think i ever took offence to being a red devil. Our rival were the blue devils. haha

Like Maria, when i was in middle school, they tried to change our mascot from the Red Devils b/c we needed to "break away" from the high school. they tried, but there was so much hooplaa about it, we kept it the Red Devils. It was tradition.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I graduated high school as a blue devil and I was very proud to do so. I know the feeling of pride and school spirit, and I would be very upset to see our high school's mascot changed. I guess in a way it represents me and my highschool years and I wouldn't want that changed no matter what.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I was in the same boat. My elementary/middle school was a Red Devil. Then I went to high school and was a Warrior. I seem to remember having a very similar conversation in Horton's diversity class.

I wonder how many school have or had mascots that were "not so good" and how manyt have now been changed.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:36 am
All-star
All-star

My school mascot beats all of your mascots! Our mascot was a salt shaker!!! No, I'm not kidding! My highschool was in Saltville, VA..

(Yes Virginia, there really is a Saltville!)

What other kind of mascot could we have chosen? I guess no one could find fault with our mascot...unless you were cutting back on the sodium!

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]