View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Teaching the Easter story 
All-star
All-star

O.K. I need some input from you ladies. I have taught the Easter story (and the Christmas story) for 6 years now to my first grade classes. My Standard Course of Study for first grade says:

S.S. Goal 4.01- Recognize and describe religious and secular symbols/celebrations associated with special days of diverse cultures.

S.S. Goal 4.03- Recognize and describe the historical events associated with national holidays.

So, this is what I go by and according to this I can (should) teach the Easter story. Does anyone else in the lower grades teach this? I know that my principal has never said anything to me and I guess she knows I do it (I fill out weekly goal sheets and lesson plans). I know that we don't have a very diverse culture in my school and I wonder if it would be different if it was? Am I setting myself up for a lawsuit? I know religion is a touchy thing in schools.
I would just like to hear your comments on this.

Shannon

Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Easter Story? YOu mean that Jesus was crucified and arose again on the 3rd day. I think that is wonderful and until you are told not to teach it, I would teach it and you are backed up by the curriculum.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always heard that you can teach the Easter story, Christmas story, etc., as long as you cover other religions. At least one first grade teacher, that I know of, does this at my school.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:53 pm
All-star
All-star

There are several coworkers at my school who teach this story. So go ahead and teach it. Just be sure to cover other religious holidays throughout the year. I think that it is perfectly fine to do this.
Heather

Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I teach both stories every year. I also relate the secular parts to it; Easter eggs, bunnies, etc... I figured that as long as the state and federal government recognize it as a holiday, it will be part of my curriculum. Third grade also has an objective similar to first grade. Resurrection and crucifixion are extra credit words on our spelling list this week. I'll know tomorrow if I have any parents who object.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always been told that you can teach topics like Easter and Christmas as long as you teach about other religions either at the same time or throughout the year. That's hard for me because I don't know a lot about other religions and their celebrations/holidays. I know more about what I believe and practice.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:02 am
All-star
All-star

I do not see anything wrong with teaching the Easter Story. I do it each year. Many of my students this year did not have any idea about what Passover or Easter was really about. It is something that I teach each year and will continue to teach as long as I do not have any complaints. I, too am like Meredith, it is really difficult for me to pull in other religions because I do not know very much about them. At the beginning of each year, on the information sheet that parents fill out for me, I ask them if there are any holidays that they do not celebrate. This is a pretty good indication of what the year holds in store for me as far as teaching the Christmas story or Easter.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]