View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Structured PE time 
All-star
All-star

We just got word from our principal this week that we were going to have to start having a structured PE time each day for 30 minutes with our class. She referred back to a new law about Children's Health or something! She said that we would have to involve ourselves with the children outside and come up with some games that are structured instead of just letting them play on the equipment.

She also made reference that lots of parents who start lining up in the car rider line so early are calling and complaining because they see children playing together, getting hurt, and running around all over the playground.

I know that the law is now out there but I was wondering if anyone else has to actually structure thier play times now outside. I know that kids should have certain rules and guidlines on the playground but I don't think that I need to start a game of kickball, jumproping, etc. and be right in the middle of it.

What about other schools? Do you do this?

Shannon

Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:29 pm
All-star
All-star

We aren't suposed to make them sit out for punishment during recess. The law says we have to give them that "active time" 30 minutes a day. We dont have to have structured games though. Isn't that what our PE teachers are for.

Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:12 pm
All-star
All-star

At our school, the decision is left up to us. There are some days that we simply do not make it outside. My students have PE 2 days per week and the rest of the time can be spent doing anything, it does not have to be in a structured game. I think that the decision that it has to be structured was something that the principal added to the law.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:52 am
All-star
All-star

The only law that our principal said that I have to do is give them active time. I don't have to play with them or structure a game with them. I do allow them to take out PE equipment and if they want to play kickball or basketball they do it on their own. I just watch them and keep them from playing unfairly.
Heather

Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Like most, we are required to give them this time, but there has been no mention of a "structured" playtime.

On most afternoons, if the weather permits, we let our kids go outside for the last 15 minutes of the day to "cut loose." This has been the best way for us. I hope we don't have to "structure" this time.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel very lucky that our principal does not make us schedule a designated amount of PE time. Our children have regular PE classes twice per week and we are encouraged but not required to take our classes outside for exercise. Our school recently put in a walking track around our playground. Three laps around the track equals one mile. It is nice to walk a few laps with the kids then come back inside and get to work. The kids get the benefits of cardio without getting filthy dirty or hurt.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:23 pm
All-star
All-star

My students have two days of PE. Those days we usually don't make it outside to play. On the days when they don't have PE, I try to get them out there if the weather cooperates. We haven't been told that it has to be structured, but we have been told not to make students sit out as punishment.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:07 am
All-star
All-star

Our teachers have to provide 30 minutes daily of structured PE time. If they have PE on that day then maybe they can have 'free play'. We are on a six day rotation schedule so some classes may not have PE for a week. Our principal has come down hard about the structured time. The teachers don't have to 'play' but they need to organize and watch. I am not allowed to pull students out of the structured PE time because of the law.

Maria Caldwell

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:30 am
All-star
All-star

I asked my husband about this last night. He has taught PE for 14 yrs. He said that we may be confusing "recess time" with physical education. And responds with the following: Quality physical education program helps students develop a wide range of skills and knowledge (ranging from motor development, to movement exploration, to lifetime fitness concepts, to rhythm and dance). I seriously doubt recess time addresses these objectives.
Yes, all children need daily physical activity (and studies show the relationship between fitness/physical activity and brain development)
http://www.actionbasedlearning.com/cgi-bin/article.pl

However, their recess activity time does need to be structured and supervised. At least on our watch. I am also sure statistics show a majority of injuries occur at school during recess and playground time. Why is that? :?: With a little effort and organization, playground/recess time CAN be improved. For example:
http://www.peacefulplaygrounds.com/ And we could probably take some suggestions from:

http://www.aahperd.org/NASPE/template.c ... 23103.html

The "law" you are referring to....is that the Healthy Active Children bill passed last year??

http://sbepolicy.dpi.state.nc.us/polici ... 00&acr=HSP

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/html2003/bi ... .full.html

There are others that address the need for active children. For example:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/B ... lID=SB+582

No, we are not "fitness clubs" for our students, but with proper
supervision and instruction we can teach them the importance of
pursuing a healthy, active lifestyle outside the school walls.
A quality physical education program is the most critical
element to accomplishing this. But, providing a safe and
productive recess time also is needed. Your principals are
probably concerned about these three things: 1)fitness/obesity levels
of your students, 3)complying with the upcoming "law", and
3) liability (not necessarily in that order).

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:35 am
All-star
All-star

I asked my husband about this last night. He has taught PE for 14 yrs. He said that we may be confusing "recess time" with physical education. And responds with the following: Quality physical education program helps students develop a wide range of skills and knowledge (ranging from motor development, to movement exploration, to lifetime fitness concepts, to rhythm and dance). I seriously doubt recess time addresses these objectives.
Yes, all children need daily physical activity (and studies show the relationship between fitness/physical activity and brain development)
However, their recess activity time does need to be structured and supervised. At least on our watch. I am also sure statistics show a majority of injuries occur at school during recess and playground time. Why is that? :?: With a little effort and organization, playground/recess time CAN be improved. For example:
http://www.peacefulplaygrounds.com/
The "law" you are referring to....is that the Healthy Active Children bill passed last year??
http://sbepolicy.dpi.state.nc.us/polici ... 00&acr=HSP
No, we are not "fitness clubs" for our students, but with proper
supervision and instruction we can teach them the importance of
pursuing a healthy, active lifestyle outside the school walls.
A quality physical education program is the most critical
element to accomplishing this. But, providing a safe and
productive recess time also is needed. Your principals are
probably concerned about these three things: 1)fitness/obesity levels
of your students, 3)complying with the upcoming "law", and
3) liability (not necessarily in that order).

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes we have to abide by this same law. However I have a problem and really alot of the teachers at my school are dealing with this. I have chidlren, as I am sure everyone does, that never do their homework. The consequence has been, they have to complete the missing assignments during our "enrichment" better known as recess time. The children most of the time can get this finished in ten minutes and still have plenty of time to play. However we are now told that we may not have the chidlren doing work during this time. My question is ...do you have any other suggestions of ways to get these children to do the work. It is the work that I need to see if they can do the work independently, not necessarily the importance of punishment. There also needs to be some form of responsiblity being taught, and they need to learn if they do not complete their assignments then there are consequence. I am not sure what to do now. Please let me in on any suggestions. Thank you

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Our principal scheduled a 15 minute "enrichment" time for each grade level. We used this as a behavior management tool, but was told Wednesday this had to change. We do not have to structure an activity, but we do have to monitor. We are not allowed to "associate" with each while out on the playground. We are to walking around monitoring the students to prevent anything from happening.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]