View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Poisonwood Bible 
All-star
All-star

I know we are in different times now, but I really was very bothered that the mother kept excusing Nathan's behavior. I could never allow anyone to run my life that much as to allow one of my children die. Good for her when she finally left. I hate to admit it but I was pretty glad to hear that he died alone in African where he apparently belonged.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:43 am
All-star
All-star

Some women feel desperately trapped into situations and are so needy for attention even the negative attention. I have often been baffled by women who stay in unhealthy situations. I think it may be a cycle that they have learned from past female role models. I have seen many talk shows on this subject and it makes me feel so helpless. In a way I just want to slap these women myself, for allowing themselves and ESPECIALLY their children to be subjected time and time again to despicable behavior from men.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:02 pm
All-star
All-star

As I read this, I felt so upset and helpless... It reminded me so much of a situation that I had around Christmas time this past year. I had a little boy in my class who always came in with some marks on his face. He always had some excuse about what happened. Finally, right after Christmas break, he came in with a very fat lip. I knew that it had been busted but he argued that it was a fever blister. At this point, I knew what I had to do. I contacted DSS that morning and that afternoon he broke down in the middle of class crying out telling everyone what had really happened to his lip. He, his mother, and mom's boyfriend was coming back from West VA and he asked his mom's boyfriend to turn down the heat b/c he felt like he was going to have an asthma attack. His mom's boyfriend told him to sit back and shut up. When he started having a hard time breathing, he was trying to tell them but mom's boyfriend did not want to hear it so he punched him in the mouth. DSS called the mother, boyfriend, and child in to talk. They gave his mother the choice of keeping the child or the boyfriend continuing to stay in the house. She choose the boyfriend in front of the child. He was devastated. Later the mom called me and told me the reason she did that was b/c she was scared of the boyfriend beating her again. Now the child lives in W. VA with his biological father, and the mother continues to live with her same boyfriend. What makes these women subject themselves and their children to this type of environment. I strongly agree with Karen, maybe it is because it is a circle that never gets broken. I just feel so helpless b/c I can't do anything to help!

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:36 am
All-star
All-star

The situation of what I consider "female stupidity" is happening right now with a teacher on our staff... For two years now! They finally divorced, but he claimed he could have any woman on earth (sure) and he has decided on her... if she would go back, he would go to counseling, etc... same story, different day. What boggles my mind is that she would go back with a man who has verbally and physically abused her and her children... It's ok with me if you want to get hit, but never put your child in harms way... One of the best gift we can give to our children is self-esteem! and then the cycle will hopefully be broken.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Do you remember when Orleanna said she didn't know how to leave her husband? I know that sounds strange to many women today, but in the early sixties independent women were few in number. A woman's role was clearly defined. Her complaints were considered petty. Divorce was considered shameful. Stepping outside of society's model would have required much courage, determination, and support. Independence came at a high price. However, I still can't understand how anyone could subject children to abusive relationships.
I'm sorry that even today, some women are so emotionally and physically dependent that abuse seems more bearable than independence.

Darla

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:00 am
All-star
All-star

I'm sure women of that day and time were shackled by relationships much like some of the independent women of today are. However, after saying that I am so glad that we live in a day in time where women are self sufficient and independent and able to make choices for themselves. There were a few women in the 60's who claimed their independence from men and everything else that would bind them, but for the most part - most women became prisoners of an invisible, silent, societial prison called marriage.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]