View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Today Show Interview 
All-star
All-star

Interesting interview on the show this morning that ties in with Considine's class. Research is suggesting that a child between the ages of 1-3 that watches a great deal amount of television, is 10% more likely to develop ADHD at a later age.

The doctor who was being interviewed stated that a child's brain is still developing and that the stimulation that comes from a television has more of a damaging effect during this early development.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I could but into that research. Many times my friend uses the television in order to cook dinner or straighten up the house. She uses it more now, because she just had her second child. She feels guilty, but she has to do what she has to do in order to function right now.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I would have to side with the Dr. on the show. I have four students in my classroom this year who are taking medicine for ADHD. Of those four students, all four have televisions in their bedroom and they admit to watching lots and lots of television as very young children. Their parents agree that the only time they get some "peace and quiet" is when the television is on. Makes you wonder.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:14 pm
All-star
All-star

There was a very small article giving this same information in the Statesville paper----it was at the bottom of the page in the corner--easily overlooked---but I think parents need more education about this growing problem. We have got to set limits to our children's TV time and carefully protect them from content they are not yet ready to process. This week the teacher across the hall had to have two fourth grade boys call home and explain to mom that they had been talking about tow of their classmates "doing it" at the lunch table. When the teacher asked where they's heard such talk---one boy said he learned it from the other and then that boy said he watched the Maury Show and learned ith there. So it's not enough to keep the TV out of your kid's room---how do you deal with their playmates who are too wise to the world? This becomes a very complex problem and only worsens as people continue to hide their heads in the sand.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]