View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Transition times 
All-star
All-star

Are your students as wired as mine are? I'm usually good at trasition times, but lately I have had to raise my voice more than usual to get them to quiet down. We still haven't learned to use quiet voices inside...and it doesn't help that my classroom doesn't have windows so we echo like crazy. I have used up all my methods of trasistion..got any more ideas? What is working for you right now other than bribery. haha

Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe it is the spring weather and we are in desperate need of spring break. I have children arguing and not getting along and it is the ones that have never had a problem. The kids need some time away from each other. I need some time away from them too. It is especially difficult because this is the crunch time for preparing for end of grade tests. It is a difficult task when students are not settled. I have been taking some talking time away at lunch and even silent snack. I use these consequences as a last resort, but I have to keep them in control. Hopefully, after a break it will relieve some wiggles and chatter, maybe not.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:03 am
All-star
All-star

Kellie, I can't remember which grade you have but I think it's lower than mine--In my fourth grade class when we begin to have trouble going from the classroom to break or music or whatever----I have them practice it several times as if we've never done it before----We've actually spent time walking up and down the hall re-learning how to walk in a line. I tell them we're going to get it right so we can be the role models for the rest of the school. I "review" everything I am expecting from them so there is no doubt about what "good behavior" is. I let them know that this is "serious stuff" and those who can't comply will have to lose a priviledge.
This is an area where intelligence doen't dominate. Every child can do his part to create a smoothe transition.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Penny on this one. It seems like this time of year the students begin pushing the limits. I rarely ever put my whole class on silent lunch, but I did today. I allow plenty of talk/discussion/peer tutoring time in my room. However, when I ask them to be quiet, they continue to talk. I have really had to "crack the whip" again, marking down the daily discipline charts, write a note or two, and have some phone conferences. Hopefully, everyone will get rested during spring break. The kids will come back settled, God will grant me some tolerance, or I'll be able to use my 6 free visits to Catawba County Mental Health facility. But something has to give!

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]