View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teaching a gifted child. or not? 
All-star
All-star

I have a situation in my class that is driving me crazy!! I have a child in my class that is having a difficult time completing his assignments, getting started on time, and paying attention in class. The mother and I have had numerous contacts throughout the year and I have expressed my concerns. The child is smart and could do the work if he so chooses to, but he chooses to stare into space. He is in the second highest reading group (yes we group them by ability for reading) and the other day he fell asleep in class. He rarely completes his literature circle jobs, and when he does he waits until the last five minutes of reading group and tries to put anything down. His reading teacher told me for example that he will come up to her and tell her that he can't find an important part of the story or anything that interests him. In math class the student rarely participates in our activities and will sit and try to read while I am trying to explain the work. He is a high reader, but I often wonder how well he comprehends the text. When I ask him a question he will sit for about 5 minutes and stare at me like he didn't hear me or that he is trying to register the question.

My problem is his mother thinks that he is bored and wants me to acclerate him in his subjects. She also wants to test him for AG classes when he enters third grade. I do not know what I need to do. His writing looks like a kindergarteners, and he rarely shows me what he can do. I don't see how in the world I can accelerate him if he will not do the work I give him now. I know that some of you work with gifted students and I would love to hear what you think about this child. I am not by any means saying that there is no way he is gifted, but what makes the mother think he will complete the work in AG classes if he doesn't complete it in a regular class.

I am very confused. What do you think?

Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I am not certified AG, but this kid sounds like a typpical gifted child to me. But we teach in NC, a state that says children aren't AG until the 4th grade (this is ridiculous in my opinion.) I wouldn't accelerate too much, because you never know what next years teacher will do. Just offer him a few more choices, more power over his work. You might see a big difference. But who knows? We need Teresa's opinion, she teaches AG.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:42 am
All-star
All-star

I feel like you do Misty. Why should he be given more when he is not doing what you give him? Shelly mentioned that in NC we don't consider AG until 4th grade. In my school, children begin AG classes in 3rd grade. It is a very good possiblity that he could have a very high IQ and qualify for AG but will he complete the extra work that is expected from him in the AG program?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]