View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 what we've learned 
All-star
All-star

A friend of mine is beginning a grad school program in early childhood education. She is not a teacher, but hopes to be, and she was telling me about some of the things she's learned in class. It made me think of different things I have heard from various professors, and I wanted to throw this question out there:

Do you feel that you have learned a lot from grad school that has affected your teaching practices? Or are you jumping through the hoops to get your degree and are continuing to teach the way you always have?

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:56 am
All-star
All-star

There are some things that i know I will never use that i have learned throught the graduate program, but overall I have taken away a lot of practices i am using and hope to make better. I have learned teaching strategies and the best way to use them. Resources that have helped me plan lessons. And the best part has been the sharing of ideas with fellow teachers. I did come into the graduate program with the idea that i wanted to make more money, but I have gain so much more out of it that the pay raise is in some ways on the back burner now.

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Overall, I believe that I have become a better teacher as a result of the classes. I certainly feel like I'm better informed than I was two years ago. In fact, (hope this doesn't sound snooty) I feel like I'm ahead of the other teachers at my school. I now know more about research and issues affecting education. I feel like I'm more up-to-date than most and I don't believe I would be this confident had it not been for the classes. Also, I feel the networking with other teachers has been the most valuable experience of all. 8)

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:28 am
All-star
All-star

After completing some classes I have been disappointed that I haven't walked away with more concrete ideas. But at the same time, I feel I have learned more about the broader view of education. I am definitely more informed and confident. And as an added bonus I have had the opportunity to talk with other colleagues. Sometimes we become so focused on our small room that we have tunnel vision. I think hearing from others keeps us open-minded.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Janie. I feel so much more confident with my teaching techniques and styles after taking graduate classes. It has been a long road, but it has made me so much stronger as a teacher, as well as, a person. Hopefully, I can get back to being a better wife and mother too after this is all over!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I may not use everything I have learned but I at least have the knowledge and information if I need it. There have been some classes that have no relation to my field but were still required. I gave the instructor what he/she wanted to finish the class. I work with low level elementary readers. The advanced and intermediate classes are required but not helpful to me.

Maria Caldwell

Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I have learned more about myself and why I do what I do. I have learned that I can be more effective in making changes that really matter. I have learned to continue setting high expectation for my students as well as for adults. I have not learned a lot of concrete things, but I think I already had enough of those. I really did need more out of the box ways of thinking.
I wish I had had these classes before I attempted National Board certification. I did score a 3 on two of four parts of the National Boards. I think I would have been more successful. Now, I'm content with getting my graduate degree. I might consider working on National Board later, but don't count on it.

I have learned more about why I do what I do. Now, I know that my experience effect how I think and what I do.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I have learned so much from the experiences with other teachers. I have thoroughly enjoyed the comradery with the co-hort. :P I always, almost always, liked coming to class. It has only been the "busy" work that I hated. Some of the assignments I have learned from. Stuff like writing lesson plans I could have done without. :cry:

Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:21 pm
All-star
All-star

When I first began taking these classes I wasn't sure how much they would impact my teaching. Looking back I can see a big difference. I have implemented several new ideas that I researched and learned about on my own but would never have done if not for some of the classes. I also think I have grown in my other ways. I know a lot more theory and termonology which makes me feel more confident. I know I can back up my teaching practices with research and that is very important when dealing with parents and administration. In addition to these things, everything I learned in the past two years will help me with National Boards. I don't think I could have taken NB's on prior to grad school and passed.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:05 am
All-star
All-star

I think overall I learned that I can handle a lot of stress in my life. This has been the most difficult 2 years of my life as far as school. I thank God that we are near the end. I did take with me some of the great ideas that our fellow co-hort members have shared. I think that this whole experience has been difficult, but well worth all of our efforts. Thanks for asking.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]