View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Princeton's New Grading Policy 
All-star
All-star

I heard this a couple of weeks ago on the radio. Princeton has decided that too many of the students there are receiving A's. The new policy that is in place says that instructors can only issue 36% of their grades at the A level.

This really bothers me. What is so bad about having the majority of your students making A's. Another thing, how in the world do you determine who gets the A? If you're limited to only 36%, what does a professor do? Is this legal for them to do? I just don't get it!

I look at my grades and I do have alot of students with A's. It makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. I believe that I will go and see what my percentages are. I'm curious to see if I'm giving "too many" A's.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel like it is very unfair to have a cutoff for the number of students who can receive As. My feeling is that if a student earns an A, then they should get an A. One of my professors in college was criticized by a colleague for giving too many As. She explained that she did not give As, but the As were earned. I share her feelings.

I certainly hope Appalachian does not adopt this 36% rule. :D

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:06 pm
All-star
All-star

Personally, I wish we could do aware with grades and percentages. I especially despise the comparisons made with class statistics. What can graphs and numbers really tell you about the children or the teacher for that matter? :x

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I would love to know how they are going to grade the papers. Does this mean that they must now look for "mistakes"? Are they going to be evaluated in this same manner when it comes time for tenure? I think that grades should be coupled with portfolios. Some me the real work!!

Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]