View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Poisonwood Connections 
All-star
All-star

What connections do you all see between the Poisonwood Bible and any of our other readings?

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not sure of how it connects to any of the other readings. However, I do think that it connects to the video about discussing the Bible. Everyone has a different opinion based on their background or experiences. The African experience affected the mother and her daughters decisions after they were removed from Mr. Prices' domain. Mother was stuck in a "no win" situation until something very drastic made her move to make a change to better the remaining children's lives. Adult decisions affect children and other adults. We need to consider how every decision affects others.
Sometimes, we cannot wait on someone else to make the change. Sometimes change begins with us. Everyday we weigh the risk of our decisions.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I think part of it is that you can't always take an idea and apply it in all situations. Sort of like the garden. Nathan knew how to effectively sow a garden, but the practices/techiques did not apply or needed to be adapted to the Congo. It also didn't matter how the rest of the world did it, it had to be done a certain way there. I think you can carry that over to the religious beliefs as well as educational beliefs. Children who live in and plan to live in the jungle may not only learn differently, but may not need to have the same curriculum as children in other parts of the world. We tend to treat all students the same. The U.S. often acts as if they know what's best for everyone. I think that's why we extend our "help" into so many different areas.

Then of course, I could be way off base.

Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Building on what Karen said, I think that it can be applied directly to our classrooms. What works with one child, may hurt another. We as teachers have to know our students. That is why state and federal requirements for students often harm the student we are actually trying to help.

Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]