View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Path Less Traveled 
All-star
All-star

So many times as I was reading, I tried to put myself in Anatole and Leah's shoes. I often questioned why they decided to stay in Africa. I was simply amazed that they chose to stay even though they and their children were going hungry. They seemed so courageous to me in that aspect. I mean, how many of us would honestly have chose the more difficult way? I believe that they chose the path less traveled. What would you all have chosen to do if you were in their shoes? I know that it is easy for me to sit here and say well I would have done this or that. But, when I really think about it, I am not completely sure what I would have done. :?

Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that Leah went to Africa at a crucial time in her life. She wasn't so young that she couldn't remember any other way of life, but the Congo became her way of life. Rachel was too old and stubborn to fall in love with the place, the people, etc... Ada had all sorts of other issues to contend with. But Leah just got absorbed in it and she loved Anatole. True love does strange things to ya. Anatole was so open and honest, she always knew that he would never leave. So by allowing herself to fall for him, she was also falling for everything he was.

However, hungry babies might have been my own breaking point. I guess she knew that although they suffered from hunger and malnutrition that they probably wouldn't die. She was able to find happiness in Africa and she knew they would too. Sometimes, if you have family, that's all that matters.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I honestly think I would have had an extremely difficult time staying in Africa as Leah did. However, I think she and Anatole saw how they could truly help others by staying. I think she also became disgusted with the American way of life. She was able to see how much Americans waste and how our priorities are not always right. She had almost become an outsider to her native land. And when they were in the states she could see how Anatole longed to help others in Africa. While I don't think I could have done it, I do admire her persistance.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I know I would not be able to stay... I consider "roughing it" to be Motel 8. :) What Leah and Anatole did was give what the people wanted, not what they thought they wanted... totally different from Nathan.

Karen, I am with you. I don't think I would put my children in harms way, even if it was malnutrition. That is something that effects (or affects) you forever.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]