View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Being left behind 
All-star
All-star

I have been skimming back over the Poisonwood Bible and while reading the part about the ants attacking the village and Adah being left behind my thoughts shifted to the students with various difficulties in our classrooms. I wondered how many times a student has cried out for help and I was unable or unwilling to help that child. I know many of us are stressed and tired and although we try not to take this into the classroom it sometimes sneaks out without our knowledge until it is too late. I have noticed that I am sometimes short with family, friends, and as much as I hate to admit it, students. I pray that I will always be there for my students and when one is crying for help that I do not just turn my back and run away with whatever load/problems I am carrying. I pray that I will pick that child up and help with his/her problems, which if you ask me is what the mother should have done with Adah.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Amber, That was one of the places in the book that made me cry. I agree with your point---We have so much to do at school---so many asking for our attention--- Like you, I hope I haven't left anybody behind--or overlooked. How could a mother choose one child over another? It's heartbreaking----but there are some that do. Some that play favorites too. Boy, life is tough--especially for little ones.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I, too, could relate to my struggling students. Am I truly giving them what they need? I try so hard to work with them on their own level and provide more life skills, telling time, money, etc... I can only hope good fortune will smile upon them in their futures.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you totally. This time of year is so stressful with EOG's, end of the year activities, and our own graduate deadlines. It is frustrating when students act inappropriately, and I also find myself snapping at them. After I fuss at them, I feel bad. I usually pull them off to the side as class is ending to tell them that this time of year is very important and they can help me out by paying attention or behaving in a respect manner. Fourth graders seem to understand this. Maybe you could try that with your students.

Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]