View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Poisonwood Bible and women's role 
All-star
All-star

I wonder if anyone else is as frustrated with Orleanna as I am. I have zero patients for grown women who play the passive role (currently my mother-in-law).I just cannot understand why women would allow themselves to be put in this role. It is ultimately their choice. They may see no choice themselves but they allow the men and sometimes other women in their lives to put them in a serveant role. I hate it for my husband because I will never be like this. I guess I can thank my mom for teaching me this. She always tried to make me see the importance in having a backbone and using it.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:20 pm
All-star
All-star

Just a different generation that you're dealing with. Most of the older women that I know are passive...and they enjoy that lifestyle.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm with Jill. I do not think I could not have interests of my own and have my own opinions but then my husband doesn't try to encourage me to stay home and be taken care of. In fact, he wants me to go as far in my career as possible and to know how to make good sound decisions if something were to happen to him.
But he realizes that my parents taught me to work and make a way for one's self so you will not have to rely on someone else for your happiness and your well-being.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I was very lucky to have a mother and father who taught me to be independent. As I was growing up, my parents both worked full time jobs and still managed to attend every play, practice, or parent teacher conference. They taught me how to survive on my own and provided me with the education to do it.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I was raised to be independent also... However, there are passive women out there today... One teacher at my school who is just turned 40 thinks she needs to sacrifice herself and her children in hopes her ex-husband comes back to her...

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I can't imagine how a woman could allow a man to dominate her. My grandfather thinks he runs the house but some way my grandmother always gets him to do what she wants. I'm not sure how she does it. All I know is that by the age of two my favorite expression was "I'll do it myself" and this has become my matra.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:54 am
All-star
All-star

I am very lucky to have parents that worked together and neither one dominated the other. I have been raised to be independent and not to rely on other people for things. When I married my husband it was hard for me to let him to things for me, because he couldn't do them fast enough or he wouldn't do them the way I thought they should be done. But I am now learning to share resposibility and it makes me a little uneasy.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I had a hard time dealing with how passive she was also. I chalk it up to growing up in a different era. My dad did just as much around the house if not more than my mom but that is not the case with many older couples. I know I could not ever be passive but I think that comes from having supported myself and being self-sufficient.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I have been married for almost 25 years and I have never thought of myself as passive. I think that we have always tried to work together. I give a lot of credit to my mother who would always encourage us to talk and listen to each other. My husband and I both had a good relationship with my mother. That was a true blessing.
The first five years of marriage, I was a stay at home mom. Things changed after I started going to school and got my first real job. My husband started helping with laundry, cooking and cleaning. We really worked together because we both worked. We talked often about how I felt about working all day and then coming come to work again. He really tried to understand how I felt and he helped. He still helps clean, cook, and does laundry most of the time. I do not feel like it; especially since I work all day and take classes. I thank God for my minister/pastor husband. I don't think I could have asked for a better one. He doesn't just talk about Christianity he lives it. I wish every minister did. The world would be a much better place to live.

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]