View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Question about remediation 
All-star
All-star

I asked my principal about her plans for providing remediation (2 week summer school) for the students who do not pass the gateway. In the past, we have always completed a 2 week summer remediation and then the principal made the decision about promotion. She responded that we may not be able to do that this year because of the lack of funds.

Here is my concern. Caldwell County administers the EOG's the week of May 17th. THat's one week before the students are out of school for summer vacation. This does not leave any room for remediation for children who did not pass the gateway.

I know that we are required to offer remediation to these students, but my question is when? If there is no 2 week remediation during the summer, what are these students going to do?

I realize that the principal still has the deciding power of promotion, but can they promote without having some type of remediation plan for these students who did not meet the standards?

I'm curious to see what other schools are doing, particluarly other teachers in Caldwell who are at the gateway years.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:44 pm
All-star
All-star

To be honest, I haven't heard a single thing about offering remediation to those students who don't make the gateways. I even teach in a gateway grade. It seems that the teachers at our school are being left in the dark over very important issues.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:16 am
All-star
All-star

We test May 10-14. We will remediate failing students/enrich passing students the week after and retest May 24-27. Our last day of school is May 28th. Summer school is offered from June 7-25 for students who don't pass the second test.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:26 am
All-star
All-star

I talked to our guidance counselor about the retesting.

We are testing 3 days during the week of the 17th. Make up tests will be given on Friday. For those students who did not pass their gateway, they will be retested during the last week of school.

She is also concerned that there is not enough time to provide the focused intervention that we need to do.

Meredith, In case you read this posting, go to the NC public Schools website. There is a great flowchart called Navigating NC's Student Accountability Standards. It breaks down the process for the gateway years. Students are suppose to be provided with some form of focused intervention before they are retested the second time. At least that is how I understand it, and that's what our school has been doing since the conception of this program.

I know it is very frustrating! I just think that Caldwell County waits too late to administer the EOG's.

I feel like it makes teachers wait 'til the last minute and we have to scramble to provide remediation. Also, it gripes my $#$#@ that some of these kids are missing out on their field day and other fun activities because of the schedule for retesting.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]