View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Nathan Price/Cultural Awareness 
All-star
All-star

"I happen to think they already knew how to make a joyful noise unto the Lord a long time ago." (Pg. 247, Brother Fowles) What a powerful statement. If Nathan had spent more time listening and less time ranting and raving, he might have learned that God was ministering in the Congo before the Price family arrived. Doesn't this situation speak to the importance of cultural awareness?

Darla

Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. If people would only take the time to listen as much as they speak issues could be avoided.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:46 am
All-star
All-star

Yes, I think it definitely speaks to the idea of cultural awareness----and without sounding too judgmental and cruel---I have to wonder if Nathan Price had a true rel;ationship with the Lord or if he had decieved himself into thinking he had. He does not show the "fruits of the spirit" in any way throughout the book. He seems pompus (sp), self centered, and misguided---not the best qualities for a missionary---

Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Penny. He doesn't seem to have the "fruits of the spirit" throughout the book, and he needs to listen to what he is saying.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I also agree with Penny. From the very beginning of the book Nathan Price came across more self-centered than a person who had a relationship with God.

Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Nathan did not care what the native people or his family thought. He was there to fulfill his need to go unnoticed in an unfamiliar camp. Spiritually, he was a dead man walking. He real thought he was redeeming himself for living when the others had died. I believe he really was a sick man and he knew something within himself was not right. In a way, the Congo was an escape from the real world for Nathan. He would not have to face his emotional problems. He went to a place where his do nothing attitude would be questioned the least. Of course, it was in the name of christianity.

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]