View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Diversity 
All-star
All-star

I found this interesting today. I was watching one of those local newscast from...Maple Grove...i think. It was a festival, I'm assuming for Native Americans. They were interviewing a Cherokee indian. IT was interesting to hear his point of view. Since we had talked of diversity in previous classes. He was asked if he liked being called a "native American". He said he didn't because in reality we were all natives....native NOrth Carolianians, Native Floridians...where ever we had lived our whole life. He says Native People is the name he prefers. Indians are from India not North America.
They then asked him what he thought of the sports teams who had Indian mascots. He said he understood that the fans want to support their team. FAns usually follow the traditions of their mascot. He understands that, but when fans put tribal paint on their face for the fun of it, it mocks the seriousness of face paint used for spiritual purposes. He saw both sides as long as they weren't mocking a serioius ritual.
He opened my mind, to actaully hear the side of a native person. I had read and really didnt think it was a big deal. I can see his side.

Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I've seen several shows where they have interviewed Cherokee and other tribes and they, too, prefer to be called Native People. It is interesting to me that this man did not take offense to the ball teams that continually perpetuate racial stereo-types. Perhaps he has had to deal with it for so much of his life he has accepted it.

Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I didn't see the program you mentioned, but thanks for sharing. I didn't know about the preference to be called Native People. When we offend others, it is often due to a lack of knowledge. I guess that speaks to our responsibility for increased cultural awareness.

Darla

Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]