View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Savage Inequalities - A Utopian Society 
All-star
All-star

In Jonathan Kozol's book, Savage Inequalities, he describes horrific conditions of some of the public schools in East St. Louis, South Chicago, and New York City. Some of these schools have no heating, broken windows, toilets that don't work, and no textbooks for the students. Other schools within the same district however are equiped with science labs, computers and very qualified teachers.

Discussion Question:

Let's imagine a Utopian society where every school in America is funded the same amount of money per student. Class sizes are all the same, and students per square foot (building space) is the same. Qualified teachers are also evenly distributed. No other funds are allowed to be used (PTO, fund raisers, etc). What are the pros and cons you forsee in the society? How do you think parents will react? Will test scores improve? What do you think will happen to the drop out rate of minorities? What is the best and the worst things that will happen?

This forum is now open :lol:

Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:59 am
All-star
All-star

The community you describe would be ideal. It would be even more wonderful if it would allow all schools to meet their AYP goals. How would the government fund paying all schools across the nation bonus money?

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe there are so many factors that play into the success of a school. The community in which the school is a part and the parental involvement of the child's education are just a couple. This society would be ideal if all of the factors of a child's education were equal across the board, but we know that this just is not possible. In a community where school is not given much priority students may be unlikely to finish school and if they do they may not go beyond 12th grade.

Test scores would probably go up in areas such as those in East St. Louis where they do not have anything in the school (not even a decent heating system or toilet), but what would that do for students who have no outside support of their dreams. These students are practically cut off from life outside of that city.

Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:38 pm
All-star
All-star

It would be wonderful to have all schools and students treated equally. Go as far as dressing them the same (in uniforms). The less advantaged students may improve when it comes to test scores and graduation. The more advantaged students may continue to progress. The home life would be the deciding factor here though. Is there parental involvement to help with the student with homework and reinforce what has been taught in school? Last semester, I sent home baggies with my first grade Title 1 students that contained short activities to help improve reading skills. I included all materials that would be needed. Only half of the baggies were returned with the activity completed. The success of any student depends on the support from home.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

One of the kids said it best. There are differences in schools because there are differences in society. If every child had exactly the same things in life it would make for boring teaching and less interested students. I think every one being allocated the same amount of money would be fine, and allow each school system the choice on what to get with it. I think the graduation rate and drop out rate may change slightly, but not enough to make a significant change. Faye said somewhere that a lot is environment or from the home. That is where a lot needs to change.

Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:20 am
All-star
All-star

I wouldn't mind teaching in an area where all of the schools have the same funding, available resources, and qualified teachers. Our students would have the same opportunities for learning wherever they go. It really upsets me when one school has all the science equipment, computer programs, etc. and a school on the other side of the county has nothing. What kind of education is this? Is this fair for all students? I don't think it is. I remember the video we watched in Dr. Zimmerman's class that compared the two students in the New York area. Their schools were so different, and the students were not receiving the same educational experiences. I wish all schools could receive the assistance they need to provide an education for all students!

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

The Utopian Society you describe will never happen on this earth. People are too driven by greed and selfishness. It is within the human makeup to want to "protect" what we have for "our " kids--"sorry if yours don't have it. I worked for it and I'm not sharing.----especially if it means I have to give up alittle that I'm hording for my own kind" It is harsh to even write those words, but for many people who can't see beyond their own family, or their own community, that is how they operate. It is scary for people to let go of what they have---even for the sake of helping children. In the back of their minds they are not sure it will work---and then they've let go of something that was "theirs " with no chance of recovering it.

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always thought that today, where there are so many resources available, our schools were moving towards this. I realize that schools will never be equal but as more people become aware of thier rights the states are going to have to take responsibility. When Spagnolo filed a class action lawsuit againts IL for the E. St. Louis schools the state was held responsible. Hopefully, as a result more states will take action or be held accountable when they do not.

Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]