View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Pictures of East St. Louis 
All-star
All-star

AFter beginning the book Savage Inequalities last night when I got home from class, I was really needing a visual picture in my mind of what East St. Louis really looked like. So, I ventured to the computer to see what I could find. I found an interesting link to a pictorial tour of East St. Louis. It was compiled by a group of students who had read the book Savage Inequalities and decided to visit the area. It has probably about 50 pictures and information about each one, but take the time to look and read about each one. It is definitely well worth the time. Now, as I read, I know what some of the places that he mentions really look like.
Enjoy! :wink:

Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:42 am
Site Admin

Amy:

Could you post the link for us? All you do is copy and paste the web address in to your message on the forum.

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Sorry that I forgot to include the email address when I first posted. It is http://www.unit5.org/rumpsjc/pics.htm

Sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused. Have a great afternoon!

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:53 pm
All-star
All-star

Amy,

Thank you for posting the info on the pictures. Seeing the conditions that some people are forced to live in is very eye opening. I would have loved for the photographer to have gone inside those building, especially the ones that are still occupied, so that we could view them from that angle. I was amazed by the neat and clean conditions of one building and directly across the street - an run-down abandoned building.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I was so interested in East St. Louis, I looked it up also. A different world then we are use to. I get upset when I have a bulb out. I can't imagine teaching under those conditions.

Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:39 am
All-star
All-star

Thanks Amy for posting this website. What an eye-opening experience. It was good to be able to get a visual of the buildings and down town area after reading about this poor city. I just can't believe all of the buildings and houses that are falling in. It looks like this city was at one time a pretty nice place. I think it is so sad that across the way there is a beautiful city that is like living in another world. It seems like the people of St. Louis would stick together to try to help out these poor people across town. How can the government officials of this place allow this? Why can't something be done?

Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:56 am
All-star
All-star

Thanks for posting the pictures. I couldn't and can'tbelieve what some schools in American are like. How could the state government turn their backs on so many innocent kids? And I thought that I was suffering in my classroom! I feel ashamed that I complain everyday about our heating system, when those kids don't even have a classroom, bathroom, or books to use.

Heather Smith

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I also looked at the picture of East St. Louis. Wow! I would like to see the schools on the inside. The book painted a pretty good picture, but I would like to see what they are like now. Have any improvements been made since the book was written? This is something I am going to research and see what turns up. See everyone Sat.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I find it disheartening to see the conditions in which the children face day in and day out. I could not imagine while I was reading and still had difficulty after looking at pictures on the internet. We are fortunate and if nothing else realize we need to use the materials we have available to use to benefit the children and encourage and deepen their learning. What an enormous task we have, but what an even greater task these childen face each day. I have a greater appreciation for building I teach in.

Renee

Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]