View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 High School Graduation Rate 
All-star
All-star

:roll: What is the true cause of the low graduation rate for Blacks and Latinos? Some politicians would love for everyone to believe that it is the educational systems or societies fault. I do not believe that the low graduation rate of these two groups was caused by educational systems nor society. I do believe that a strong, stable home life based on biblical principles does affect the decisions and events which occur at home and in school. I think that the graduation rate of Blacks and Latinos is unacceptable. These two groups are already at a social disadvantage. I see getting a high school education as a gateway to fulfilling American dreams. I know that getting a college education enhances the chance of fulfilling dreams, but a high school diploma is the initial gateway no matter what part of the country one lives in. One must have a desire and self-determination to accomplish anything.

Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you almost 100%. I think that most of the blame is placed on the schools and on society, which is now assuming even more responsibilities of the parents; however the blame should be first pointed at the home. Many times this is overlooked.

But have you thought about how the school system might be to blame? Are all schools funded equally? Are all schools staffed with qualified teachers? If these things are not equal then you could point the blame for the drop out rate on the school systems. You could also argue the point that just because schools are receiving equal treatment it does not mean that they are equitable.

But I do agree with you. I think it all begins in the home. If parents raise their children with a good background of morals and have high expectations for them, then they will be more likely to graduate and go on to have a successful life.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Faye and Jill that a lot of responsibity and blame for low percentage of minorities graduating, begins at home but like in "Savage Inequalities" some parents just do not know how to keep their kids in the good schools. Also, some school systems may not even be reporting accurate data because of how this would be looked upon by higher officials. How do we as a society teach the parents how to be "good" and "concerned" parents? Will we ever really fix all of societies problems? I am all for placing blame on home, parents, and backgrounds but what do we do to change this?? I truly do not believe "NCLB" will fix this but our government see this as a way of putting a bandage on the real problems that we face as a society. The govenment always wants to put the blame on teachers but really, time shouldn't be wasted pointing fingers at educators but in trying to reform and fix these real issues. "Savage Inequalities" showed us that placing the blame on teachers who could do better because we are always forced to work with what we have is a great example of "placing blame on innocent people," which leads to no solution and things never being changed.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, I agree with Faye that a solid home life and background for our children is what really guides them through their adolescent years. Having a place to turn and someone to depend on is crucial to children. If the streets are their homes, then that is where they will go. If someone is at home to give that love and support - no matter how despairing the situation- then that is where they will seek refuge.

Just a thought:

I wonder if the Department of Social Services would ever consider bringing charges against our own government for letting such conditions exist in a public school building.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I found the rates to be about what I expected, although it is very sad. I was also very surprised that WV, my home state, has that much higher graduation rates than NC. The rates of minorities in WV are lower though, so the higher rate might be explained by that.

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:08 pm
All-star
All-star

For a state that is suppose to be gaining, ranking 45th for graduation is pretty sad. When you look at the states with higher rates for graduation, you must also look at what is graduating. I know NC has improved their scores with testing, but what are we doing about improving graduation rates? :(

Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you, Jill! I guess I have always been one to point blame right back to the parents and home. I know that I sure do use that expression "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!" alot when discussing some of my students with co-workers. You know, it really isn't fair to put blame on the parents of the children in our readings. These people are victims of circumstance. What are the parents supposed to do? This is not a problem that has been caused by home life but a problem that has been placed on these children by thier government. I could not believe the situations these children have been placed in. There is no way a child or anyone can learn in the situations that mentioned. It's bad enough to hear about the contaminated soil they are playing in, the bathrooms in which they have to use, the building in which they have to learn in, and the little supplies and equipment they have for classes, but what about the lasting effect of the pollution. There is no way that these children and teachers in East St. Louis are not going to suffer long-term effects of breathing the pollution. I wonder if anyone has thought of that? They may not live long enough to have to wonder about graduation!

Anyway, I guess now I see how unfair it is for some school systems to receive more monies than others. Clearly, something must be done. I can't believe that this has been allowed to go on. Things like this sure are kept hush, hush.

Shannon Ramsey

Jill Pippen wrote:
I agree with you almost 100%. I think that most of the blame is placed on the schools and on society, which is now assuming even more responsibilities of the parents; however the blame should be first pointed at the home. Many times this is overlooked.

But have you thought about how the school system might be to blame? Are all schools funded equally? Are all schools staffed with qualified teachers? If these things are not equal then you could point the blame for the drop out rate on the school systems. You could also argue the point that just because schools are receiving equal treatment it does not mean that they are equitable.

But I do agree with you. I think it all begins in the home. If parents raise their children with a good background of morals and have high expectations for them, then they will be more likely to graduate and go on to have a successful life.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]