View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Savage Inequalities 
All-star
All-star

As I read this book, I am wondering WHY. We, as a nation, send many missionaries and money to 3rd world countries that need assistance. We have areas right here in the US that are in the same or worse shape. Why can't some of the help begin right here at home? Forget about the bills that are owed by the cities and towns, forget that it may be a dangerous area, forget about being paid for a job. These people need help making a better life for themselves and it can't be acheived no matter what they do until someone steps in to give help not expecting anything in return. I'm not against helping people in other countries, I think its a good thing (political but good). Isn't the old saying "Charity begins at home"?

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I really had no idea that things could be that bad in the United States. Often as educators and in general people of a society, we assume everyone has their basic needs met but after reading this we know that this is not always true. I agree with you, why in this world would we allow something as devastating at this to go on. We would be in an uproar if those conditions were told to us about another country. Citizens would pour money into lands we do not know and feed children we have never seen because we usually have so much compassion. More people should begin by making changes in the United States rather than ignoring such an awful situation. I am going to research and see if things have changed since the publishing of this book and if not, we need to ask as a society, WHY???? As a human being and mother, why wouldn't someone want to make changes???

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I couldn't believe what I read in the first chapter either. I had no idea that such a place existed in this country. How can politicians just turn their heads when Americans are living in sewage, drinking contaminated water, breathing contaminated air, and walking and playing on contaminated soil??? I felt the same as Dawn. Have the conditions in East St. Louis changed or improved since this book was published? I am curious to see what Dawn finds in her research. Kozol has a way of making you appreciate the things that are taken for granted in our schools and with our own children.

Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I have read the first 2 chapters about St. Louis and Chicago. I can't believe the health circumstances in East. St. Lewis. How could you risk living in a place where your child could develop this illnesses many children have gotten. Maybe this is all they could afford. I feel thankful to have a family that I could go back to, if I was living in the aweful way the book protrays. Do these conditions still exist today--the pollution and the air quality. I can't see how our government could let those conditions stay that way.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:20 pm
All-star
All-star

Maria,
I also wondered how we could allow such injustice in urban communities and schools. Then I realized my own surprise and shock were revealing.
How many of us are fully aware of existing inequalities beyond our own comfort zones? On page 17, Ahmed said no one in East St. Louis "has ever had the clout to raise a protest." I suppose that was Kozol's hope in writing his book. Awareness of such injustice should lead to protest, demands for accountability, and efforts to correct these shameful circumstances.
You are right. Our giving to the people of other countries seems less honorable, when you consider the neglect of our own citizens.

Darla

Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:14 pm
All-star
All-star

So often Kozol discusses that these people do not have the clout to do anything about the situations. From everything I have read, I am asking myself why not? It seems that every school so far that is in the lower economic communities are the most crowded ones. The people who have children in these overcrowded schools, are they voting to keep these elected officials in office or are they even voting at all. It seems that they sort of outnumber the "yatty tatties" who think their children are too good to be in the same school. They should swallow their pride and think about the overall well-being of the children in general. I work in a school where the minority are the white children. However, with a little extra time and effort, we have proven that all children can and will learn no matter what circumstances they face at home. They were 93% on grade level on EOG's last year. But I face some of the same situations with people frowning about our school each year. A child is a child no matter where they are from. Never once have I lowered my expectations of my students nor will I. Many of these children just need encouragement. Not encouragement to drop out of school so the system's numbers on test will look better. I mean give me a break---what has our education system gone to? It seems to be it is nothing more than a business that is run by a bunch of people sitting in an office all day not having a clue what truly goes on inside the "conference rooms." Please do not misunderstand me! I have an utmost respect for principals who do their job and look out for the best interest of the children. It is the others who have no business in education.

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:47 am
All-star
All-star

Social injustices are a part of everyday life. Everyone has their own skeletons in the closet. When we realize the skeletons exist we wonder why or how this situation could be allowed. I don't know how to fix all the problems that children or anyone else has to endure. I do what I can for whom I can. I have sympathy and wish I could take away all the hurt and injustices, but I know I cannot. I know one who can. I advocate, help where I can and pray for change. I know we all do what we can because we care for others. The fact is not everyone feels the why we do.
Injustices have always existed and always will even in the United State of America. This is the reason, I believe that every individual has the power within themselves to bring about some type of change. A spirit to fight for what one believes and a desire to endure no matter what the cost are what can bring about change.
It's sad that in every walk of life, we can find numerous topics which need to be addressed. The people who can bring about change do not realize that they have the power to do so.

Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I know many of you are shocked by the description of East St. Louis but unless you are on the inside or reading the book of someone from the inside these problems are not so apparent.

Remember Dr. Zimmerman's comments about reading, "always question who is writing the book, who the intended audience is, and what is the purpose of the book.

I was in East St. Louis this past April and while it was a dirty, it was similar to what I would expect from an inner-city. Any inner-city in the US. I saw the Wiz and the Oz the two strip clubs. I also saw the prostitutes standing on the corner. There were lots of eye-opening experiences. But I was more shocked by the book's description of it then by what I actually saw.

Maybe that's the power of words. And I realize that I did not see everything. I was not on the inside of it nor did I have to live in it.

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:31 am
All-star
All-star

I am also amazed at such conditions in neighborhoods and schools. I am glad that Kozol listens carefully to children and is letting their voices be heard in this book. Otherwise, their voice is lost in their situations and yet to be discovered. Maybe educating others by explaining their situations and conditions may give them some justice.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]