View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Did we like this class format? 
All-star
All-star

I was just wondering how many folks (such as myself) really liked this class' format (readings and seminar w/ few evaluations) over the traditional textbook and trade book w/ several evals. and papers format. I think our class did a moderately good job of taking advantage of the seminar format, though I think we might have had more discussion had the class met more often and for shorter periods. Anyway, did you guys like this type of class? Do you think it would work well in public schools?

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For the most part I like the set up of the class. I don't think though that it would work in public schools. Younger students could not sit for 4 hours at a time. It's hard for me to sit still for that long even with a break. They also need more test instead of just one. That is the only thing I don't like about college is there isn't enough test. If you bomb one test there isn't a lot of room to improve.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This class was a new experience for me. I first I really didn't know if I would like the format of it but now that the class is almost over I've changed my mine and I really do like it. It was nice to meet just a couple of times a month but I will have to say that it was hard for me to remember everything from previous classes because the classes being so spread out. I think that the only negative aspect for me is there being only one test. It puts a lot of pressure on you.

As for the format working in public school, I agree with Melissa. It would be hard on the younger kids to stay focused that long.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I enjoyed this class format. It was not strictly test based and we were allowed to voice our opinions. I did not enjoy being in the classroom setting for the whole four hours. I do not think that it would work in the normal classroom setting because the teacher cannot give up four hours of the day to devote to a seminar.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I really liked the format, and I dont mind having just one test. However, i didnt really like the meeting only every other week. It IS really hard to remember everything from previous conversations and classes. I was reading over the questions on the final, and i was like, "what does she mean freedoms?" It took some searching to find anyhting on that again, becuase its been SOOOO long since we talked about it.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I liked the class format. I took 19 hours this semester, so it was really nice to only meet every other week for this class. The only thing I don't like about it is now that it's time to take the test, I feel like I don't remember anything from the beginning.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:52 am
All-star
All-star

I enjoyed our class as a whole. I definitely understand what a lot of you are talking about when it comes to remember topics from previous class discussions but I think it would be hard to remember stuff at the beginning of the semester regardless. I definitely couldn't have sat there for 4 hrs had the period not been broken up with breaks, group work, and movies. I'm just glad it wasn't straight lecture the entire time. I felt like I have gotten a lot out of this course however through the discussions in and out of class.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I didn't enjoy this class format. I felt like it was hard to remember the topics from two weeks before (like many of you have mentioned) but I also felt like the four hours that we spent together every two weeks was tough. It is hard for me to sit through such a long night class that is based on discussion. I thought the majority of the discussions and videos were interesting, I just wish I could have taken it in a once a week format instead.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]