View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Where do you want to begin your career? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What kind of school do you all wish to start your careers in? Me personally I want to begin a program in which I can mold and shape the development of how my students appreciate music, from this and other cultures. To me its not just being a band director. Its creating a purpose to study other people. To get involved with a craft that helps express ones emotions without ever saying a word. And its about a common language, that everyone in ever culture understands. Music is in ever culture. As for school settings. I really hope I have the oppurtunity to move around the globe. This would help me keep learning as well as be able to share on a first hand experience with my students my travels.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know how much choice people end up having about what job they take, like how many offers they have. I think most people have a county or city they want to be in and that determines the job they take. But I sure do see a difference in schools and hope I will have some choice in where I teach. Part of it is the culture of the students and their parents but part of it is the administration and what sort of attitude there is--like whether teachers are trusted to make good decisions, or whether they feel like the principal is constantly watching them. Even the building can influence the learning environment of a school. We have one in Watauga county which has no windows in the doors, and the doors are closed all the time. You walk down the halls and there is an atmosphere of seriousness and academic stress even. While one school was originally built without walls between classes. Walls have been added, but there are no doors. So it's noisy all the time, no matter what you do. It creates a very different situation for teachers as well as students. I guess I'm saying that if you have a choice, choose carefully.

Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess I have formed a philosophy of education since I have begun the education program here at ASU, but it continues to change. I think for right now, I would like to be closer to a city but still able to teach in a smallish classroom. I really value the idea of not having so many students that they seem to fall in the cracks and I can really give them one-on-one attention. I guess as teachers we can aim to be the best we can be with the cards we're given. I have heard horror stories of unbearable principals and unsupportive staff. I hope I'll be able to teach in a place that allows me to do with my students what I think will help them to learn the best and be the best they can themselves be.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Since I decided I wanted to be an Elementary School Teacher, I have always thought that I would graduate and go back to my home county and teach at my old elementary school. But, as time goes by and I go back to volunteer there, I see all the changes that have occurred. I'm not sure whether I want to go back there and teach or not. I do know though, I want to be in my home county teaching at some Elementary school. I will just have to wait and see how it falls.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not know where I want to teach. Like Allison, I thought that I might go back to my elementary school in Charlotte and teach. I have since decided that I never want to teach in Charlotte. I want to find a school that supports it's teachers, students, and parents. I want to work in a community where opinions are taken into consideration no matter how ridiculous the request. I feel that a smaller community and school could provide that level of support. I plan on doing my student teaching in Charlotte just so I can stay at home, so who knows my views may change, but as of now I have no clue!

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well when I first got in to the teaching program at Appalachian State University I was dead set on teaching inner city students because I felt this would be the place that I could make the biggest impact. Well after getting some experience in the classroom I soon decided that as a first year teacher this would be a very difficult task. I have decided to teach in a less populated area and work my way into the inner city. The reason I want to start out in this area is because it is what I’m used and I think I would be more comfortable.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Being in Business Ed, I would like to find a school that strongly supports the Career Technical Education. Another feature would the a supportive adminsitration and a friendly staff. But I think it will probably come down to who has an open position.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope that I will be given the opportunity to go to work for a really good school system. Ideally I would like to teach at a school were I can try some of the great concepts that we have been taught while in college. I do realize that not all great new concepts will work and be accepted, but you never know until you try. My main goal is to get kids to understand that the lifestyles that they may choose will have a great impact on their bodies in the long run. I would like for kids to understand that participating in some physical activities can make their minds and bodies to work more effeciently and longer. I hope that I can find a school that will allow me the chance to try to not exactly make huge differneces but to make small differences that could potentially turn into bigger and better differences.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Obviously I will be licensed to teach in this state. So I will more than linkely be teaching in NC for several years. Lately I have really begun to think about moving out of state. I just need a change and want to experience some new and different places in my life. I have spent my whole life in the lovely state of NC and I love it! My roots are definitely here, but I don't know if I will live here the rest of my life. I am trying ot be open to where things will take me. I will be teaching elementary school somewhere and hoepfully traveling during my summers. I have a lot of places I want to visit in my lifetime. I would love to be teaching second grade, but my first few years, I might have to teach where I can find a position.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ideally I would like to start my teaching career in a new or fairly new high school and then branch out to teaching at community colleges or a university. I have always wanted to teach higher education but it will all depend on my feelings next year as the time approaches for me to apply to grad school or for me to apply to teach in a high school. So many decisions. I would love to be choosy in picking a school but sometimes you just have to go for the job you can get whether you like it or not.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:55 pm
All-star
All-star

It's funny how there are so many possibilities. I've sometimes thought about teaching in an inner-city school. But then I don't have a lot of experience as a student in an inner-city school in the truest sense of the word. I'm afraid that somehow I wouldn't get any respect from the students. Then sometimes I fear the idea of No Child Left Behind or administration or non-supportive parents so that sometimes the idea of teaching in a private school appeals to me. Then there's the desire to keep up my Spanish, thus teaching internationally has entered my mind. I guess it'll play itself out, however, and we'll see.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I plan on teaching in the suburbs of a larger city, if possible. Right now im leaning towards the Charlotte area, more specifically in the Cabarrus County school system. I have actually never lived in Charlotte, but im excited to branch out and start over on my own. Plus, moving to a more populated area will open up new possibilities that a smaller more rural area could not provide. After a few years of gaining teaching experience id like to move into a magnet or alternative school. From what I have seen of them, they will be a better fit for my style of teaching.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well, I thought I would end up teaching in an elementary school in Winston after I graduated; however, now I know that I will be living in Virginia Beach (which is where my fiancé will be attending grad. school), and I have no clue as to what kind of school I want to go into. I am very nervous about this situation because I know nothing about the area, and I do not know which schools have high scores and which ones have low scores. It stresses me out even more to know that I do not know what kind of school I will be teaching in for my first year as a teacher. And everyone has been saying that your first year teaching is the worst and hardest. But the thing that I have been doing lately is talking to locals, professors at Adam's university, and searching for information on the web. Hopefully, by the time I move, I will know as much as I possibly can about the schools so I know what I will be getting myself into.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]