View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 What grade would you like to teach? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What grades are ya'll interested in teaching, and why?

I know that I like to work with the younger kids (k-2). I guess that those are the grades you can teach and just have fun and not have to worry with all the hassles of testing.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey, I think I am going to shoot for the higher grades to start teaching in. In those classes you can delve alittle deeper into the content than you can with earlier grades. If possible I'd love to teach on the college level at some point.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really am leaning toward the older grades. My mother teaches Kindergarten and it is amazing really how much the students know when they come to school but what is more amazing is how much you have to teach them about common things that you expect them to alreay know. The hardest adjustment for a kindergarten student when they first come to school is getting to know the school in general like the building and where things are at but also the rules that they must follow and the routines of the day. You think about what you can let a second grader do because they already know enough of the teachers and the teachers know them and they already know the school itself. Younger students just need to much guidance and so much more patience that I am not sure if I can really give it to them. Plus I seem to connect with the older students a little better because that is the group that I have been more exposed to.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I've always wanted to work with younger kids. I was the one when I was young that would stack their bears and dolls up and pretend that I was the teacher, playing school. I once thought I wanted to teach kindergarden but after working in a daycare, I believe I would perfer to teach first or second grade. But like Blair, I do not want to have deal with testing, even though the state has started assessing first and second graders. I am currently doing my practicum with a first grade class and so far it's been really good. I have great respect for those who are wanting to teach at higher grade levels. Over Spring Break, I visited middle and high school classes, and I realized that I could never work with that age group; I wanted to jerk quite a few of the students around, and knew I never could do that! So, good luck to those who are wanting to do higher education....I think I'll stick with the little ones! :wink:

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought I wanted to teach fourth or fifth grade....but now I don't know. I'm so torn! :roll: I think I would like to try teaching different grade levels until I find a good fit, and from what I hear beginning teachers often get shuffled around anyway. The younger children draw me, because they seem more eager to learn and still like school for the most part. The older children draw me, because I think I could do more "in depth" activities with them.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I want to teach the younger grades, K-5, but I think I will be happy with any age group. I will always have a place in my heart for the younger grades because I know how many things I missed in my own schooling that I want to be able to provide for the students today to make their own lives better.

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I think I am pretty open to teaching all different grades. When I worked at the Lake Norman YMCA, I taught all age groups at different times. I really like the K-1 graders because some really look up to me, love being around me, and try hard to make me happy which is really my motivation because I want to be that teacher the kids remember having and loving. I also was assigned to the 4-5 grade lunch group which I also loved because they are more relaxed, you can joke with them and get on a more deeper level with them. But I think I will be happy with whatever I get.

Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always wanted to teach K-2 students, but now I can see myself teaching 3rd grade too. I know I would do better teaching the younger ages compared to the middle grades. When it comes down to getting a job though, I think I'll pretty much be open to just about everything. But, if I had my DREAM JOB it would definetly be 1st grade.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always wanted to teach ever since I can remember. I can remember lining up my stuffed animals in my room and teaching to them and playing school with my friends. I have always had a passion for the younger children and I hope to teach K-2. I have had experience with second graders, as I did my internship with them when I was in high-school. In my learner diversity class, I am now interning with first graders and I love them also! I haven't been in a kindergarten class for an extended period of time but I'm sure I would love it! I feel that if I can make a difference and get the kids early enough that I can provide for them a good foundation that will help them succeed all through school. The most important thing for children is making it fun and enjoyable; something they look foward to each and every day and I hope I can be that teacher that they look back to and remember!

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:02 am
All-star
All-star

I feel like with both grades there is a lot that can be done.
1st graders are still loving school and seem to like to almost anything
and 4th has a great course of study

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My ideal level would be high school, but I will take what I can get. Being an Art Ed major, I am certified K-12 and all age levels have benefits.
Art jobs are pretty scarce, especially because of funding issues...so one teacher may be the art instructor for 2 to 3 different schools, limiting the number of positions.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:37 am
All-star
All-star

I'm a middle school teacher through and through. I actually got to teach for the first time today, and I had a blast. I love middle school because there is so much going on with these kids. They are developing in so many ways and so quickly. They truly start to become young adults and it is a pretty amazing change to watch.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:25 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]