View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Is this going to be your main career? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As my graduation approaches...next spring, I have begun to wonder if I am truly going to teach forever. I have started looking at options for graduate school and it appears that this degree may only be a stepping stone for another career. So...
Are you all planning to teach forever?
Are you using teaching as a stepping stone or even as something to fall back on in case you do not get a better job?
Tell us! :D

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For me, I will also use teaching as a stepping stone. I plan on teaching in North Carolina for about five years, but id eventually like to use the degree in other areas. My goals are to travel a bit more, learn different languages, and maybe do some teaching internationally or at a foreign military base. Most likely I will be always be involved with some form of education, but it may not always be in the public school setting we have here.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I want teaching to be my main career. I strongly believe that teaching and working with young people is my calling in life. I also plan to coach and I feel like I can have as much an influence on young people in coaching along with teaching. From playing sports in high school, I learned many valuable lessons that I can use later on in life. I want to be the coach that when a player talks about me later on in life, they say, "Coach Lyons was always there for me, and I learned a lot from him." I think that means more than wins and losses. I have the desire to be the best teacher and coach I can be and if Im happy doing both, then I don't see myself doing anything else.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I plan on teaching for several years before making the decision if that is exactly where I want to end up. I have become increasingly interested in psychology since I have been at Appalachian and I would like to eventually go back to school and maybe become a school psychologist. I am not sure though. It depends on how my experiences are in the classroom as to whether or not I decide to persue the school psychology thing.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know if I would want to limit myself to being only a teacher. I suppose if I am good at it and it brings me satisfaction then I may do it for life.

But then again, I've got a personality that makes me want to try everything. I'm not sure if I would be happy only doing one thing for my entire life. I think I might like to try scuba diving too.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'd like to go back and get my masters but I don't know what in. I think I'll always stay in the education area. Both of my parents are in education and it seems really rewarding to me. I might like to have an administrative position at some point though.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know without a doubt that I was meant to work with children. I love kids and I have a strong passion and desire to make a difference in the lives of many children. I want for my future students to have the same passion that I do for learning. As for teaching for my whole life, I don't think I will. I know that my main job later in life will be as a mother and wife. But at some point I want to get my masters in administration. I would love to become a principal of an elementary school.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I would eventually like to get a master's in my field. However, I feel like I need a break from taking classes for a while. My husband and kids have sacrificed this past few years while I been working toward my degree. I want to give them more of my attention once this leg of my journey is complete.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:32 pm
All-star
All-star

Being a teacher is a big commitment. I hope to teach for several years, and then I'll re-evaluate the direction I'm headed in. I'm open to staying in teaching long-term; however, I've always wanted to go after a graduate degree, and I'll probably have to stop teaching to do that (at least for awhile). I guess for me, I view teaching as a stepping stone. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. But a friend and I were talking about this very thing, and although she's on her way to getting a Phd, she expressed frustration at how the brightest people rarely stay in teaching. I have no idea - I haven't been a teacher, yet. But, I'd like to say that I would stay with teaching as long as I knew I was an effective and caring teacher.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I love art, and I like the artworld (though slightly less.) Yes, I want to teach for as long as I can. Will it be in public schools? Honestly, I doubt it. The idea of teaching in college appeals to me even more right now. I'd like to return for my masters and concentrate in something...say, photography, and try the university-level thing... but I'm hoping that teaching highschool classes will be so rad that I simply won't want to teach anywhere else...

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Teaching will be my main goal. I have always wanted to do it and I feel it is the right place for me. I think that when I get way older, I may want to become a principle in a school. So that is why I will get my masters in it, just in case, and when I am ready. I know that whatever I do, I want to work with children in a school setting :D

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that it takes a very talented person to be a teacher and for me I know that my purpose is to be teaching young people. I think that teaching will be my main profession, if not in high in college. If not teaching the administration some profession that allows me to influence young people. This profession will also allow my self to stay young, because I believe that teaching is the closes thing to a fountain of youth that any one will ever find.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I want to be a children author/illustrator. Im goign to graduate school though to get a degree in high school humanities or hisotyr, its a toss up but i do wanna teach for while while i try and get my writting off the ground. I do know that I want to go to graduate school so I have osme time to explore myself at a professional level.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teaching is definitely a calling. I realized my calling when I was on a mission trip in Honduras and working with some of the kids there. I spoke a little bit of Spanish and they spoke no english, but somehow we made it work. They would teach me some spanish and I would in turn teach them some english. At this time I was still a Criminal Justice major. I was laying in bed one night while I was down there and I heard without a shadow of a doubt God say these words to me, "Working with kids is a gift and if you don't use it, I will take it away." After I got back I changed all my classes and switched my major and have never regretted it. Therefore, teaching is my career and working with kids is what I look forward to doing for the rest of my life. :D

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Who knows where I'll end up, but for right now I plan to teach until I retire. I have a feeling that I am going to love teaching, love the classroom, love the kids, but teaching is not all I want to do with my life. I plan to get involved in my community. I have always had a heart for community service and I hope that whatever school I end up at that I can start up a club or organization getting the kids involved with community service. I also have a passion to be a youth coordinator at my church. I have noticed the need for this position in my church since my days in youth group and I hope that will be a spot I can fill when I return.

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That's a great question and one I often ask myself. The answer for me is "Who knows." I am all over the palce with my career choices. The teaching gig has been in the back of my mind for some time now, so I decided to go for it. Like many of you, I plan to teach for a while and test the water. The way I see it, if I develop into a passionate and inspirational teacher (like I hope to be) then yeah public education could take me to retirement. If I get into teaching and I am not happy with it or I fell that I am just not ment to teach, then I will get out. I truely believe that my job life will always center around education in some fasion. I have often thought that I'd make one heck of a park ranger. :lol:

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At this point in time, I have no desire to be an elementary school principal. I would like to get a graduate degree at some point, but probably in elementary education, curriculum and insturuction, or educational psychology. I plan on teaching forever because I do not feel that you only teach in a classroom. I see myself teaching here in the states for quite some time, but I am not going to limit myself to that. I could also see myself teaching children english or music in a foreign country of the world. I love to travel and I would love to live other places and be able to teach little children. I know I will teach children for the rest of my life, but I will also be a student because we continue to learn all the time. I am excited to see where my life will lead me.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:51 am
All-star
All-star

I want to teach for a long time but I also have other plans. I would love to be a principal for a while and then maybe superintendent. I am ambitious and I would love to run for Congress. Eventually I would love to be president but then again I am a woman and who knows if that will ever be possible?

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teaching and being with children is definitely my calling in life and my biggesst dreams. However, I dont know if I will be doing it for my whole life. There are so many things that I am interested in doing. I would love to get a masters in psychology because that is a big interest of mine as well. Even if I do end up teaching til I die, I know that it wont always be here in the states. Another of my life's goals is to move to China and teach English there and work with small children. So, will I be teaching forever, I dont know but I do know that it is something dear to my heart and I will do it as longs as it keeps me happy.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]