View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 History/science taken out of the classroom 
All-star
All-star

I had no idea that history and science were hardly taught in schools these days. I think a great way to incorporate history into a classroom is by reading childrens books about historical events. I learned alot about integrating books into the curriculum and I think its a really great idea. Has everyone who is in block 1 or 2 or who goes to the schools frequently seen history and science diminishing?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

History and Science are both disappearing in the schools. I think we the curriculm it is hard to handle everything. My teacher that I worked with showed me all the standards that she had to meet including art (which is not in Burke County), healthful living, computer/technology, science, social studies, reading, writing. She did a pretty good job at balancing out science and social studies. Science and history are switch every nine weeks. Although we you look at 4th grade (NC history) and 5th grade (American history) it is not taught that much and science is rarely taught.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:06 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I'm in Block I and my practicum teacher does a good job of integrating science and social studies into the curriculum. For example, they read book about ducks and geese, wrote about them, and then did a science experiment about how oil and water do not mix (like the oil on duck feathers). Another example is that they read books about apples, wrote about them, and had a "tasting party" to see if they liked red, green, or yellow apples more. Then they graphed the class results and talked about how apples grow.

However, I have noticed a much greater focus on reading, writing, and math overall.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:50 am
All-star
All-star

While I am not in the Block classes, I do believe that history and science need to be taught more in school. Of course you have heard the adage that if we do not learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it. Well, I think that if we do not teach our students about our past, we are doomed to continue making the same mistakes over and over and over again. I believe that should our students understand where we come from, they can get a better understanding of where they are now and they are now prepared to set goals for the future, which thereby enhances the way of life for Americans.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I am shocked to hear this. In my kids' school, they have science/social studies every day. Some my daughter's bigger projects this year have been in those areas. I guess Watauga County has decided to keep these a priority, which is a good thing, because it is mandatory in high school. What is the rationale for taking these subjects out? I thought the decrease in funding for arts education was to go to the basic subjects. Why are these being cut??? This is deplorable, since I am pretty sure that the SCOC mandates these subjects be addressed in the lower grades. How can they get away with it?

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I think this has been a problem for a long time. When I was in elementary school, we really didn't do much social studies through the year. Science was done quite a bit, but there was definitely a lack in social studies. I am going to be a high school history teacher and I feel that if this problem is not taken care of, I will be spending more time teaching students material they should have already learned. This isn't fair to the students and its not fair to other history teachers.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I saw this in the classroom where I just finished my internship. Science and Social Studies is rotated back and forth for the last 30 minutes of each day. On days where extra activities are going on, or they run out of time, the lessons are completely eliminated. I think this is really sad!!!! Science and History are just as important as English and Math in my book!!! I think students should be introduced to all of these areas! :wink:

Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]