View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 How Comfortable Are You? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How comfortable is our society with transgenders? Would you feel comfortable having a transgender teacher? How about a transgender teacher for your child?

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would hope that I would be o.k. I would rather know the person first and not know anything about the transgender until I had formed a relationship with this person. In that case, I think I would be more accepting and comfortable with them.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

First, I do not think transgender people will be recieved very well which is typical of anyone which does not fit into certain "normal" stereotypes in society. I want to be politically correct and say that having a transgender person spending that much time with my child doesn't bother me and all people should be treated equally and we should judge a person by who they are on the inside...However, reality is those people in the film made me uneasy...I felt something perverse and unnatural was at work and I am willing to admit I would have a very tough time embracing their lifestyles...Finally, I will say that I had no clue before this class that such a person existed...the clinical and scientific part of the class was most informative....

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:12 pm
All-star
All-star

As a military brat who was exposed to many types of people, I really don't think it would bother me too much for a transgender person to teach my child. As long as he/she was good at their job and did not keep switching from man to woman and confusing the students, it would be okay.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:58 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I would like to think that I'd be o.k. with it once I met the person and had a conversation with him or her or whatever they wish to be called. But I seriously doubt that anyone would hire someone to be in a teaching position because they would definitely have problems with parents and other orginizations. It would cause unwanted problems at any school.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
If the person is acting in a professional manner I would have no problem with them teaching my child or accepting them in any other position of authority. Your private life should be just that and as long as it dosen't interfere with your profession then I don't see any problems.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:45 am
All-star
All-star

As much as I would want to accept individuality, I would probably be very uncomfortable having to work with one, especially in a teaching situation, and I know I would not like to have one teach my child. I just think it would cause confusion, especially in the younger students. I do agree with Johnny - I think it would certainly cause problems for any school district that hired one.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]