View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Eye on the Prize Video 
All-star
All-star

As we were watching the Eye on the Prize video about school segregation many things were going through my head. My first thought was, how can people hate other people so much that they could act in such a way? I then thought about what one woman said on the video that was against the busing of students. She said that she did not care about the color of people's skin, but that she did not want her child bused across town to go to school when there was one across the street. As a father I would not want my children bused when there was a school in our community. This has nothing to do with segregation of color. I can see how many of these parents would be against the busing and I ask myself, are they being selfish? This does not give them the right to act the way that many of the people did. But, is it wrong to peacefully resist it?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:52 am
All-star
All-star

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I was thinking the same thing, but I was also wondering if it is impossible for them to see the big picture here. This was an attempt to level the playing field. I was trying to think of an alternative. The only thing that came to mind was to bulid a larger school between the two town, but I am pretty sure that would never happen, and it really doesn't make sence.
Do you think that they Judge made the right desicion? What would you suggest to level the playing field and desegregate?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

I'm not totally convinced that busing truly leveled the playing field. If the teachers in either school did not want the other students there, they could have made things miserable and unproductive for the students. We've talked about this in several classes before: it's the teacher who makes a difference. Sure, it's great to have lots of resources in the classroom, but an inspired and creative teacher is the most important resource.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the whole idea of busing simply creates too much tension. The children that are being bused are not welcome school, and most parents do not want their children sent to schools so far away from their homes. I do think the teachers have a lot of power to make some of the tension decrease, but the students are most likely only going to make friends with the kids from their neighborhoods. This creates even more racial tension, which seems to go against the purpose of busing.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I know that some very special friendships between races developed because of busing (that otherwise would not have happened). I also agree that along with these positive developments, there was a lot of tension, anger and hatred; however, this tension, anger and hatred stemmed from the existing prejudices, not the busing.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed watching the Eyes on the Prize video. I never realized that there have been such racial problems in the North. I was taken at how fast the judge made that decision to bus (especially it being the day before school started). It just seemed overwhelming for everybody. I think it should have been more of a gradual thing. Some of the anger and violence could have been prevented if people were more prepared for it.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]