View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nathan's voice 
All-star
All-star

Wouldn't this novel have been more interesting if we heard Nathan's perspective directly throughout? Or does this further the point of his detachment?

Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Kingsolver probably didn't include his voice because it was his decision to move there and his family are the ones who suffer the consequences. Therefore, it might be more effective to hear the story from the viewpoint of those who felt the effects of Nathan's actions. Also, Nathan is obviously a little crazy. If she had used his voice he wouldn't have been a trustworthy narrator.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:17 am
All-star
All-star

IF we did hear from Nathan it would of brought him closer to the reader. He was in a world all to himself and Kingsolver was right to keep him in the distance.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Carrie, in that his voice would have brought him closer to the reader. I don't think we are suppossed to hear or have any understanding of him, his voice would have inevitably done this! I can't imagine I would ever have liked Nathan, but I think his voice might of helped us understand him. Also, he silenced the women in his family continually, this book is like their silencing of him.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that this book is the silencing of Nathan. I think that it would have been interesting to hear his perspective of the events as we hear them from the rest of the family. I think that we would have seen how fully detatched he is from his family.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it might have been interesting to hear Nathan's point of view. I think maybe we would hear how he justifies his treatment of his wife and children? Maybe we would have seen how often he accuses himself of wrong doing while in the war. Does he struggle internally with his role in his family? Does he realize and care about how he isolates himself from them?
I think I would have liked him even less had these questions been answered!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Going along with Tammy, I too think it would be interesting to hear the logic and reasoning behind so many incidents in this book from Nathan. I understand the reasoning for his perspective being left out, but I feel it could've enhanced our understanding of his character. I am one to analyze and look for reasoning and justification, and I think it would've been interesting to hear from Nathan.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought maybe we would hear from Nathan at the end of the book, but I'm sure it would not have brought me any closer to him. I felt I understood him clearly from the explanation of the women in his life.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]