View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Who wears the pants?? 
All-star
All-star

Last night in class Dr. Turner pointed out that every woman in the classroom besides Jaela was wearing pants. Its funny how 40 years ago women did not wear pants in public. While we were talking I couldn’t help but think of my grandmother. My grandmother is an old-fashion, preacher’s wife, who does not wear pants out in public a lot. She feels women need to dress like women. It wasn’t until recently that she began wearing pants out when we went shopping. Of course she has NEVER worn pants to church. When I wear a nice pair of dress pants to revival (not to Sunday morning services, she would beat my butt) she gives me a look like “Where is your dress?â€

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a good point that we base our opions on people's appearance. It is our society that has taught us that. When I look at new babies I have a hard time telling which ones are boys and which ones are girls. A lot of times I look at what color the child is wearing pink or blue. Why does pink have to mean that it is a girl and blue a boy. Who thought of making girls wear skirts and guys pants?

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree that we place "gender" by a person's looks. Men and women do have different "rules" that they must go by to be associated as male or female and if those rules are broken, let's say by maybe homosexuality, it is a definite wrong that others look down upon. I know that this is giong to sound very cliche, but I truely do think that we should judge people by the inside and not the outside. I have met more wonderful, outgoing, and neat people since I have accepted the fact that you cannot judge a book by its cover. I truely urge everyone to do the same to meet wonderful people who will probably change your life for the better! :D

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought it was interesting that in all of the girls, except Jaela, were wearing pants in class too. It is hard to believe that at one point it was very common for men to wear skirts. I can relate with Jenna about her grandmother too because mine is hardly ever seen in pants. I don't know if this has to do with the time that they were brought up in or how they were raised, but she def. is always dressed "like a lady". I am grateful that times are changin' because I can express myself through fashion in anyway that I please and still feel as though I represent myself respectfully as a woman. :D

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:39 pm
All-star
All-star

My step mother's family has those same believes. In fact my sister no longer visits because they did not like for her to wear pants at their house. That and they kicked her from the dinner table because she was girl. (I mean come on we all know girls can’t sit at the table?!!??) yeah ok.... To me attitude comes over appearance as to weather I think a girl is a girl and a boy is a boy. For me as soon as they open their mouth, you can tell.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That was a great point that when we are babies it is hard to tell the girls from the boys, besides the color of clothing that we have on.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]