View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hidden Rules 
All-star
All-star

I recently attended a Ruby Payne workshop on teaching children of poverty. The speaker talked about "hidden rules" that students and parents bring to our schools. There are different "hidden rules" for lower, middle and upper class families. If you look at your school population what hidden rules do you think some of the students may bring to school and how do you think they affect the way in which teachers and administrators perform their jobs?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I attended the same workshop a year ago. It is definitely important to understand where these children come from each day they walk into your classroom. If you don't know where they are coming from or what they are dealing with at home, then you can not begin to teach them anything that day or the next. The hidden rules and informal speech are very important to the different classes of people. We cannot be expected to know every one of these rules or speech, but we definitely have to be aware.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:54 am
All-star
All-star

Do you think that there are also hidden rules for certain parents, teachers and administrators? It's something to think about. As I read your messages, I was trying to think of some of the examples of hidden rules. Can you tell me a couple?

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I too feel that there are hidden rules. We will never know them all, but as they unfold, we must be willing to respect the differences that all people bring to the table. Most of our children have the weight of the world on their shoulders. they deal with so much more than just school. We have to be sensitive to what goes on in our student's lives, and be ready to encourage, discipline, and love when the situation arises.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]