View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Poisonwwod Bible 
All-star
All-star

I met a lady at basketball practice the other night who asked what I was reading and she shared with me some ideas about the Poisonwood Bible. She said that she had read the book, and she was the child of a missionary in the 1960s in Africa. I was intrigued and asked her if she liked the book. She said she did not like the book because it seemed too contrive. I asked her if the experiences paralleled her own and she said no. She was in Liberia, which was colonized by freed American slaves, and her family was sponsored by the Episcopalian church. She said in many ways, they had the same conveniences and experiences in Africa they had had in NC. She spoke to the differences in the countries and provinces in Africa and said it is similar to visiting a southern state in the US and them visiting outwest. Have any of you visited Africa?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:48 pm
All-star
All-star

No I have not had the fortune of visiting another country. For now I can only admire the people and support their missionary work through my church. Just like there are special 'callings' for professions such as teachers, doctors, etc., I also think that there are special 'callings' for missionaries. I thought that it was a great experience for you to meet someone who actually could relate to the experiences of our book. Do you think that they will write a book? Another viewpoint will be interesting.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I admire people who do the missionary work today. I don't know if I could go to another country and live for months-it would be hard. I know a lady who does missionary work and it costs a lot of money. It is often hard for her to raise enough money to go over there and then you have to get off of work, etc. I think missionaries are very special people.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I also admire missionaries, but my question is , to what capacity do they respect the culture that they are trying to enlighten.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I admire anyone who is trying to help others. :D

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]