View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nathan as an administrator 
All-star
All-star

I was wondering if anyone thought about the congo as a school and themselves as Nathan while thinking about the Poisonwood Bible. When you go in to a new school, I think that it is important to step back and examine the culture of the school and see why things are the way they are before trying to make changes.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:18 am
All-star
All-star

I had never thought of the book like that...interesting! I totally agree that it is important, as a leader, to take a look at the school you are going into and getting an understanding of the culture and the needs of the school before just implementing a lot of changes. Otherwise, we may find ourselves like Nathan, without a single convert!

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:06 am
All-star
All-star

Rachael, you make a great connection that I hadn't even noticed. You can't go charging into a situation and turn everyone's world upside down before they even get a chance to get to know you as a leader in their environment. Taking a step back and surveying your surroundings is a good way to elicit support instead of making enemies.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:51 am
All-star
All-star

I enjoy this comparison because I hadn't even thought about it. As a new teacher, I will try to listen to the culture and understand my students before I try to make any new changes. I have to always remember to keep my students in mind and respect their cultural ways. Thanks for the insight!

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]