View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Which voice will you use in your classroom? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading an article the other day about how to address discipline problems in your classroom. There are three different voices that teachers can use. The first is the "parent voice which is typically filled with words of advice about what others should, could, or must do." The second was the "child voice where you have a whiner or the powerless victim." The last voice was the "adult voice is asking clarifying questions and avoids judgmental statements." The article finished by saying that the adult voice is the best because you are giving them choices and letting them feel like they have a say in things.

I was just wondering which of these three voices you have seen your teachers in the past use. Also, which voice do you see yourself using when you have your own classroom?

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can see myself using a combination of the "parent/adult". Either way I think you have to address the problem in a respectful way and remember who the adult in the situation is. Patience is the key.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Kenneth, I think I will use a combination of the parent/adult voice. Using the parent voice, I think, is a way to connect to students who do not get that kind of feedback from their home. Using the adult voice, depending on what grade levels you are teaching, makes them feel more mature and in control of their own decisions. I think, I would be using both voices.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:00 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]