View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Public School Reform Article 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought the article from pg 27 brought up some really good points about the difference in SAT scores and family income.As for the incentive program,I like it but at the same time it has faults.At my high school teachers got upset with each other because they felt some people's teaching had cost everyone their bonuses,which isn't fair.Another unfair part of the bonuses is that if "expected growth" isn't met then nobody gets their money.For a school like Watauga that is already high achieving,its hard to keep making the percentage jumps every year,and in essence teachers are being punished for being TOO good.Thoughts on the incentive programs for teachers?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree about the faults in the Incentive Program for teachers with high test scores. Although this may encourage teachers to "teach to the test" more, the test scores can only go so high. Once those scores peak, the teachers stop getting those bonuses and we go back to where we started. What we need are realistic incentives for teachers that are not based on test scores. While scores are important, quality teachers are more important in the long run. As a future teacher, incentives that would attract me to a state would be financial aid through the state to maintain a master's degree (while teaching and going to school part-time), free in-state college tutiton for my children (when I do have children....a lonnng way down the road), and better supports in school with administration. Most teachers don't go into the profession for the money, even though bonuses are nice, they do not make better teachers. :D

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I can understand why the state of North Carolina has passed the "Excellent Schools Act". It shows that the state and country care about the education of our students. But what type of education are the students really getting with this new law and what type of freedom do teachers have to facilitate learning. Forcing teachers to teach to the tests does not allow for creative thinking about both the teachers and students. Instead, this new law will make teachers and students become robots to the system. Every year, the teacher will teach the exact same information to their students, hoping that they will memorize the facts about what years this happen and who did that. Boring for the students, and boring for the teachers. With this new law, will teachers actually care about students and their learning, or will they just care about that extra thousand dollars they will receive from the state. What children need in school is to be shown that they are loved by teachers, and teachers better love their students. If students believe that the teachers really care about them then they will open up to us and want to be taught. Enthusiasm is caught not taught. Give teachers the opportunity to teach any way they want to if they can produce good test scores from students. The way things are now, it forces teachers to really just use the knowledge level of Bloom's Taxonomy. If the teachers and students are in this together, then great things can happen. I thought that this country was all about freedom and the right to do what you want (some things will be punished). Teaching is not a crime that should be punished, but instead commended.

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]