View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Why Jonny Can't Disobey 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found this article very interesting. I have actually been thinking of this topic lately. Should we continue to conform to curriculum and what we are told we must teach. If not how can we break the cycle that is sending students on a downward cycle. The article brought up religion and the writer seemed to be very negative to the idea of religion. The question was where and how do religion and cult differ? Well I want to know where education and programing the mind differ. Many of our curriculum are based on EOC and EOG exams. For the most part we were all taught the same things and required to take the same courses. Japan has a system that places students where their abilities are the greatest, this may not be our answer but there has got to be something else. I think our educational system needs reform and instead of conforming to the ways of other teachers we will work with in the future, we need to change the way we teach. It is said that United States Students are faltering when it comes to education television and articles are going as far as calling them stupid, something has to be done. sorry if i get scattered i get a million things in my head at once.

teresa

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree this article is very interesting. I feel that education is programming the mind, or brainwashing the mind. In the physical education program we are told what we will teach and how we will teach. There is no room for creativity or for us to design our own lesson plans that we think will be successful. I agree our educational systems in this country should definetly be reformed, to allow for free thinking. It is important to have content knowledge, but implementation of that knowledge should be up to the individual.
Burl

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree this article is very interesting.

I disagree. I don't feel this article was very interesting, only mildly interesting. I also feel that the only reason Mr. Greene thought the article was interesting was because Ms. Holden thought it was interesting. :)

Hyper-obedience is going to be a bane on our society. Sure a little conformity and obedience is necessary in order for us to be able to live as a social animal but we're taking it too far. I think we need to have students stop and ask themselves if they are acting on their own will or if they are just going with the flow.

But then again, I'm a rabble rouser.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After i read this article i thought about the book "The Water is Wide" by Pat Conroy. I also watched the movie last night and in this story pat tells his students to question authority. And that they do not have to go along with what everyone is telling you. He also used his imagination to teach his students. If you havent read the book or seen the movie you should because there are a lot of different things Mr. Conroy can teach us all as future teachers.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]