View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Wow- a completely new perspective 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Whoa- after reading the article about sweatshops, I was amazed. When I think about soccer balls, I honestly can say I never thought about children who made them. Some of the poems that the students wrote in that class about the soccer ball's perspective or the child's perspective made me think- especially the one about the child never being able to play soccer, but they're making a soccer ball. But, what do we do? How can we make a difference? I feel like we learn so much about how there are these social gaps and poverty but how can we help? We can't just stop buying soccer balls. How do we help? I think also we need to understand every little thing helps- like the mlk challenge for example- we got to do a full day of service, volunteering for different organizations around the town of boone. that doesn't seem like much, painting a room, helping cook dinner for elderly folks, but that is helping individuals. giving our lives to serve others- looking outside ourselves. i think that's one way to start. and, i hope some of the children can play soccer with the balls they made.

:-)

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I like the fact that the author was concerned about not just exposing the students to the child labor atrocities and making them think of the workers as laborers, but also thinking about the dynamics of child labor. The Capital Auction gave the students insight as to how the global econonmy works and encouraged them to think of alternative solutions. I also admired his required out-of-class assignment. I had a teacher for a Women Artists class that required service projects for Women's History Month and Earth Day. During this projects, my hands-on experience was invaluable, and helped educate others outside of our class.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This article made me think of the illustration about the world being a village of 100 people (link: here). It can be used in a variety of ways to teach students about global issues. It's amazing to think about some of the statistics. A quarter of the world doesn't have electricity or safe water. Over half of the world is under 30. It's very interesting to compare the realities of the world to what we're used to in America.

I agree that the Capital Auction was a very interesting assignment. It's a creative way to illustrate many issues associated with globalization and the world economy and help students connect with them.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]