View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Bill Bigelow 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found the interview with Bill Bigelow pretty interesting. He sounds like a very creative and thoughtful teacher. I know as a high school student, and even now in college, I don't like history classes. I feel like all the teachers were ever doing was talking some language I didn't understand and that's probably why I don't like history classes. He kept his classes creative and not always stuck in their seats listening to lecture. I think that's an important thing to do-to keep your students minds fresh by letting them work together instead of just taking notes all of the time. Mr. Bigelow seems to have had some great teaching techniques and I'm sure his classes went away with a lot more knowledge that most history students do.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Luci. I think that Bill Bigelow is an amazing teacher. I wish I had been lucky enough to have a teacher like him in high school. Until college, I always hated history. I think that there are other ways to teach besides lecturing. It's important to remember that everyone learns differnetly. Lecturing may not reach every student. Bigelow uses a variety of different methods in his teaching. I also liked that he integrated other subjects into his history classes.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Luci, experiences like yours are a big part of what made me want to become a teacher. I believe that educators have a huge impact on whether or not students find a subject interesting. I loved math until high school, when a horrible teacher completely turned me off from it. I hated history until two great teachers changed the way I thought of it. So many of my academic preferences were shaped by teachers, and I think it's so important for teachers to engage students in their subject matter in a way that helps students connect with the material on a personal level.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]