View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Groton Film 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know about all of you but I don't like rich brats!! sorry if that's mean but I grew up in a place that we had a few of them that lived in the country clubs and came to public school for primary and then went to boarding school. they were just jerks. i think that these schools may try to teach about justice and about people in lower classes, but most of those students will never have to deal with people that are not in the same class as they are. As long as these kids grow up in their gated communities and in boarding schools with kids just like them, they will never know what the real world is. they may be the ones running it, but they will never know what the real world is like. i'm not saying that all rich people are like this, but living in a tourist town lets you know that most of them have no respect for locals and people of a lesser income than themselves. The people outside of those gates are the ones that feed them, mow their yards and their golf courses, fix their cars, clean their houses and do all of the things that most of them are not capable of doing. These people are running the locals out and making our land prices go up, as far as i'm concerned we were much better off without them. sorry, i made it personal, but you get where i'm going with this.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

hmmm that's interesting teresa- i definately agree with what you said about if someone isolates themself, they won't know what it feels like to really interact with others or really how other people feel. I think in order to really understand people, one must interact with them on a personal level, much more than just living next to someone or reading about them in a book. The movie about those kids going to Groton made me think how much of a diverse education they got. Yes, they did learn a lot of knowledge and had great opportunities to learn new sports, but what about learning about other people? Can they really empathize with working class folks? I don't think so- I think that guy that was so rude to the girl (i can't remember her name) because he was just ignorant- he didn't understand what it felt to come to another place and feel isolated and out of place. i don't think going to a boarding school is the answer. so what's the point of these schools? should they still exist? is it possible to have the same excellent education but with more diverse students? or is the only way to encourage diversity is by getting rid of boarding schools all together and only allowing public schools? what do you guys think about this? not very easy answers.....

:-)

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree boarding schools have negative consequences on students, but how would you get rid of them? I think everyone should have the opportunity to receive the same quality of education, but good luck convincing the rich of that. They support these schools, and they want only their class to receive their education there. What could we do to provide such schools as Groton for the lower classes without the financial backing?

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes I agree with all of you that boarding schools might have a negative effect on kids. I do however, remember wanting to go to a boarding school when I was in highschool. Now that I look back on it I realize that I would I got the better end of the deal by having a loving family that came to ball games, took prom pictures, and gave me their own curfews. The older I get the more I cherish family and I think the idea of boarding school (although the family might think that this is the best option) eliminates family interaction and bonding. I'm afriad the kind of person that goes to a boarding school might grow up feeling neglected and therefore negative to the world and that is why they might act in ways they do. I am very thankful for my parents decision to keep me out of boarding school.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wouldn't trade my public school education for a free ride at a boarding school. Lou may have gotten into a good college, but at what cost? She graduated from Groten with a major identity crisis and spent all of her formative high school years around students who didn't even want her around. Then, after all that, to have to go home to a family that didn't understand her either. For the field I'm going into, art education, Appalachian was my first choice, and I got accepted with the education I recieved at an average public high school. I'm happy with the education I received and the social interactions that I had in high school.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:01 am
All-star
All-star

I pretty much agree with everybody. One thing to keep in mind though is that the kids in the video were just in high school. I know that does not seem like that far back, but I know a lot of people that have matured tremendously since high school. I'm not trying to take up for the Groton "jerks," but even at my small town (as in no stoplight at all in the country) high school, there were people that had similar attitudes. The guy that was putting down her artwork seemed like any typical high school jerk to me. We can only hope that he matured some later in life.

As far as public schools go...I am a big fan.

Oops...sorry I posted as a guest before this! :oops:

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:36 am
All-star
All-star

Public schools are the way to go! Students learn so much more besides from academics than they will in a private school. Many parents that send their children to private schools for religous reasons, and while they may have the best intentions for their child, in the end they are almost hurting them by not letting them experience the "typical" high school experience. My roommate is an outcome of a private school in Atlanta and she was in for a very rude awakening when she came to college. She was very sheltered at her private school and now wishes she had to chance to experience what life was like as a public school student.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I went to a private military boarding high school. I have no regrets going there and I did not like public schools at the time. I learned a great deal about respect, other people and life in general. I do not think I would be the same person I am today if I had attended public school instead of the one I did attend. I do believe that some private schools are harmful(Groton) but a generalization about all private schools is not fair.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that everyone has made some valid points. I think that it's easy to criticize bording school when we have never been to one. I don't think that a one hour video can accurately portray Groten. It definately showed a lot of negativity but I am sure there are many positive aspects to it as well. While I do agree that I dont think boarding school provides you with a diversified education, I dont think its fair to sterotype based on one video.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:17 am
All-star
All-star

there are pro's and con's to both sides. public schools provide the diversity and social interaction that a private school may not...but public schools deal with larger class size, standard curriculum etc. i think it all just depends on whatever you think is more important for your kids. personally i wouldnt have traded my public school experience for anything in the world, i feel like ive learned a lot about people from where i went to school, but someone who went to a private school for their own personal reasons.

in my book groton is not a good school, but thats just because i hold socialization and diversity higher on the academic agenda than other things...we all know that the different systems of education have never and probably will never please everyone.

my foot is asleep.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My main problem is with "elite" private schools. In my drivers' ed class, about half of the students were from private schools and about half from public schools. There was an obvious difference in most of the private school students. It seemed like the homogeneity of their schools had isolated them from the realities that most people face. Public schools allow students to interact with people from many different socioeconomic backgrounds, which, to me, was an invaluable part of my education. Private schools may have their advantages, and I know that some people benefit greatly from them. But, like Amy, I wouldn't trade my public school education for anything.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]