View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 smart parents dont make smart kids? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my personal opinion i think that if the parents are smart then their children have a really good opportunity to be smart as well. Both of my parents are smart so they understood how important it is in life to be smart. Because of this they tried their best to make every moment a learning moment when i was younger. They read stories at night and continiously talked to me about what they were doing everyday. because of this i knew at a young age the importance of being smart. When i entered school they always pushed me to learn as much as i could and to make the best grades i could. if my parents were not as smart as they are then i dont think they would have instilled the same values.

PS. Hitler likes pizza, so if u like pizza u agree with Hitler.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Adam in believing that parents values and beliefs have a direct effect on their children's intelligence. I also agree with Dr. Turner's belief that the idea that two smart people who have a baby, will not necessarily produce a smart baby from birth.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I like Pizza, does that meant I want to kill Jews?

"I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm kinda a big deal...People know me."

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 am
All-star
All-star

That is a good point Adam. It is true that parents with an education and intelligence are more likely to encourage positive learning experiences at home. This could or could not make their children smart. Look at Paris Hilton, for example. Her parent's are obviously very smart to have invested their money wisely and own a huge amount of assests. Just listen to an interview with Paris and you can see that she is not the brightest crayon in the box. Maybe this is a bad example, but I just thought of her since we talked about her in class last night :P

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:08 pm
All-star
All-star

On Paris Hilton and the fortune. It was her grandfather, I think, that started the Hilton Hotel chain.

I agree with Adam, but also with Dr. Turner. Smart parents will make it easier for their child to grow up to be smart as well, while less intelligent parents, through no fault of their own, might foster and environment to make their child less intelligent. My nephews, 5 and 11 months old, are both rather smart kids. My side of the family has showered both boys with continuous love and affection, they were the first babies in 15 years, since I was born, on that side of the family. My cousins, my grandma, my parents, myself, and of course my sister and brother-in-law have constantly presented my nephews with opportunities to learn, via reading to them, speaking with them, or actually teaching them.

My brother-in-law's brother's kids are not quite so smart. His side of the family falls into the category of working class and he is also not the smartest of people, (my brother-in-law's brother not my brother-in-law). His kids, Hannah and Hunter are 5 and 3 and neither of them are as smart as my nephews. The opportunities they have been provided pretty much include watching tv while their grandma takes care of them so their father and mother can work.

I don't believe your parent's genes dictate your intelligence, but the intelligence of your parents will provide you with more opportunities to learn.

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:47 pm
All-star
All-star

We'll have to see what kind of babies Laurie and I make. If we end up with identical twins we'll put them in seperate homes and see how they turn out.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah, I definately agree with all everyone has said on this- it really does depend on the environment that the children are surrounded in. And, Adam I do agree if your parents are smart, they will probably know how to best provide for their children and give them opportunities to learn. If a child grows up being read to and encouraged to talk and discover things on their own, they will have a lot more knowledge than someone who sits in front of the tv all day and doesn't have opportunities to visit places, like the zoo. but, I also think that some children may just be smarter in some areas than others. My sister is a great example of someone who is really smart about logic and seeing how things are put together- she is artistic and can visualize things and knows how to look at something and see all the angles. I had many of the same opportunities as her growing up, and I am awful at that! So, I think it's a combination of how your brain works and how much interaction and opportunities you have.

umm...about the pizza question. not sure about that one

:-)

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I like Pizza, does that meant I want to kill Jews?

Danny, i think the answer is obvious...yes you do

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both Adam and Dr. Turner as well. Like Adam my parents encouraged and supported my education highly, therefore causing me to be somewhat intelligent. However, I have seen many cases where parents did not support their children to pursue education, or instill the importance of education in their values, yet they still became quite intelligent. I feel that there is a multiple array of factors affecting one's intelligence. I don't think we can boil it down to just one reason such as genes or a child's upbringing.

I'm sorry I guess I timed out.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that this question is all about nature versus nuture. I think that it is all nuture. Your enviroment definately plays a role in your education. If your parents value education, you are more likely to do well in school. There are definately excpetions to this rule, kids from rich well educated parents can flunk out. Im addition, kids who come from non-educated parents can rise to the top. But, I definately think that it's all enviroment. This is why I think teachers are so important. As teachers, we can give the kids who dont have positive role models a chance. We can step in and be their role models.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 am
All-star
All-star

concerning nature vs nurture...a scientist or any sort of research development person could argue F O R E V E R on either side of nature vs nurture. there is evidence that supports both arguments so i hope that as a class we dont spend our time discussing this issue. its a revolving door.

my foot is asleep.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

if you havent noticed almost all our conversations in class are a revolving door.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that I pretty much agree with the previous posts, that what is generally important to the parents will be important to the child. Both my parents are super smart and believe that there is no such thing as too much education. I was read to all the time, encouraged and sometimes forced to play educational games and watch educational television (which I enjoyed at the time....now documentaries on tv are torture....bring on Roseanne and Golden Girls). But, if those things weren't important to my parents I wouldn't have the desire to grow futher and further in debt trying to get a degree...when I could just go into the work force.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with posts. I believe that smart, educated parents can make a life full of learning for their children. Sometimes it is harder for less educated parents to do that because they either don't know how or they just don't know the stuff that they would like to teach their children. Of course, this doesn't mean that all smart parents will have smart children or vice versa. Some really smart parents are also really busy and don't have time to spend with their children. And, some not so smart parents are able to spend more time with their children. They may not be able to teach them a lot "smart" things, but they might teach them a lot of common sense, which is also very important.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

if you havent noticed almost all our conversations in class are a revolving door.

You are correct sir...and I agree with both you and Dr.Turner.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When you say "smart" what do you mean? Intelligent? I won't start that question up again but I'd just like to point out that going by your definitions to be "smart" means to work hard and get far in life, which I agree with. I think that's one of the many parts to it. My parents both worked very hard and my family is fortunate because of this. Their parents worked hard for them as well, and so on. Everyone seems to be bringing up Paris Hilton so I'll talk about her as well. No she doesn't have to do jacks***, but somebody in her family had to so that she could have the life she has today. Somebody in her family a long time ago decided that they wanted to make a good life for their children and grandchildren, so they busted their butt. Yes she is lucky, but she didn't get that way for nothing, and at some point down the line that money is going to run out and someone else will have to decide how hard they want to work to keep up the fortune.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:10 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Nice Rodney thanks for the graphics! So the door is headed to me now and it will continue to revolve around everyone in the class! I don't think that 2 smart parents make a smart child, things can happen in the womb where for example a child could develop a hearing loss or have down syndrome and so forth. But what the parents and the surrounding peers that love this child do is what makes them smart. And who judges are smartness haha! Not me!
There are so many factors internal and enviromental factors that effect are intelligence and how smart we become as we grow older. Remember the saying you learn something new everyday and everybody on this planet does and will continue to. And one persons knowledge that people see as making that person smart is different from another person's knowledge. So I think it is fair to say that we are all smart in some way or another and it is true that our parents impact this but not nescessarily through there genes! :idea:

What Up Homeslice!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]