View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Eugenics 
All-star
All-star

I had heard of the Eugenics movement before, but I did not realize it had sustained itself for so long. The thought that we, as Americans, influenced Hitler does not really surprise me, think of the view of Social Darwinism. To what extent, do you think, does the Eugenics idea and Social Darwinism belief still exist?

Here's a website put out by the Winston-Salem Journal, with articles about how much impact and how recent the ideas of the Eugenics movement have been to North Carolinians.

http://againsttheirwill.journalnow.com/

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:10 pm
All-star
All-star

The Eugenics movement was really a horrible time in the lives of so many people with disabilities. It is so sad that so many were involuntarily sterilized and were institutionalized because of intellectual disabiltites. It is also disturbing to know that Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. wrote for the Supreme Court that "Three generations of imbeciles are enough." Many believed that it wasn't as much about preventing another generation of "imbeciles" as about controlling the reproductive capacity of the poor.

During this time, on the recommendation of a physician and a clinical psychologist, any person institutionalized could be involuntarily sterelized if they were "feeble minded, chronic manic and demented people, with or without their consent, before discharging them."

This really doesn't sound that different than some of the justifications that Hitler gave either......

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 am
All-star
All-star

it is so crazy to think that people actually thought that sterilizing certain people would somewhat purify the population. we all can admit that that was a huge social injustice but we sometimes fail to realize that the same sort of things are going on today.

i wonder if in 50 years people will look back and say:

"i cannot believe those americans wouldnt let homosexuals marry eachother...how can they treat people with such disrespect? i cannot believe that those americans thought it was their place to tell the people around them how to love and live! its crazy"

"wow, i never knew that there was a limit to how many people could move to the united states from each country. i cant believe they would deny someone the right to live here. and oh my goodness its just insane to think that they let hispanics and other immigrants work for $2 an hour...and no one did anything!"

...its still happening.

my foot is asleep.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Rebecca...It is still happening and it is kinda scary if we think about it! Who are Americans as a whole to judge who can marry whom...who can live here and who can't...who gets paid squat for doing something that no one else is willing to do.....like for real...who in the world do we think we are? GOD?

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's easy for us to say that it's so horrible what they did, etc. etc. etc, but Rebecca is right, it's still happening today. Tracking for example, what we talked about earlier, is a good way to weed out those who aren't expected to suceed in life. Even though we don't see it now, all we're doing is separating society even more, encouraging those who are "smart" to go out and get "great jobs", and snubbing our noses at those with "problems" in school. "Well I guess they'll never go anywhere in life anyways because they can't understand math like everyone else, let's just put them in a "special" class so they can work at a factory to make our shoes and bread." That kind of ignorance is what is rampant in our society today, and it will continue for years and years into the future, with no way to stop it. It's sad.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]