View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Should Cheney's mishap have been made public? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm sure everyone has heard by now about our Vice President shooting a man while quail hunting on a Texas ranch. The national press is irate that President Bush knew by Saturday evening but the press wasn't informed until the next day. On top of that, the press was informed by the owner of the ranch, not the White House itself. To me, this issue reminds me of the Clinton scandal. How much does the public need to know about our politicans? The press wanted to be informed that day about Cheney and wanted details of Clinton's sex life. I was wondering how you guys felt about this issue. Where do we draw the line in the President's or Vice President's right of privacy?

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Privacy is kinda a touchy subject! But, I feel that if you choose to live a public life (like celebrities) or you choose a very public career (like the president)....you can't expect too much. It's not really fair to say..."although I choose to be in the public eye, I will choose what I want the public to know..." However sex scandals, secret rondeveaus, and vaction homes in hawaii....I don't think are as necessary for the public to know....but shooting somebody while enjoying a quail hunt might be.....who am i to say......

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Anna Kate, that if you choose a life in the public eye, then you aren't really entitled to a whole lot of privacy. While that may not seem fair, that seems to be the way it goes. I think that Cheney's incident should have been publicized, but I would rather it not be drawn out and beat to death every night on the evening news, as we all know it will be.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think they should charge him with something. He did not have the proper license, and if it had been anyone else, possible attempted murder would have been investigated by the authorities. Cheney should not have any extra rights because of his power.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm going to go out on a limb and say...if you have a minor violation or something personal then it is your business.If you SHOOT someone...then I think that should be publicized.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Anna Kate and Luci. Media knows all and searches for things to present to us about well known people. I did find it interesting that some people thought they were trying to cover it up simply because it wasn't announced 5 minutes after it happened.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:27 pm
All-star
All-star

The shooting wasn't released until 18 hours after the incident. Why is this? How long does it take people to sober up? Maybe the White House didn't release this information quickly because the Vice President and his hunting buddies, instead of hte guy with the pellets in his head, needed to come back to reality. The whole ordeal is horrible to me. The VP shot someone, it sucks, and the public has a right to know. Political scandal is a staple of American, for that matter, governments across is world. Should it surprise us that things are hidden?

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm going to have to partly disagree with you on this one. Yes, I agree that if you choose to be a president you should be prepared to accept anything but a private life, but I think the public are too concerned with petty details. Take this shooting for example. Not to say that I'm a fan of the vice president, but I doubt he meant to shoot someone. It was an accident. If this had been anyone else you probably never would've heard about it. If you're carrying a loaded gun there's a possibility of something dangerous happening. That advice goes for everyone, not just those who are in the public eye. People are just looking for a new scandal, a new piece of gossip, and another reason to point fingers. In reality, what in the world does Cheney shooting someone by accident or Clinton sleeping with an intern have to do with the way they lead or help to lead our country? People make mistakes every single day and that's accepted, unless you're famous, and then it's not? I don't get it. I think people should be more worried about what's going on with the economy or international affairs than why someone was shot. Why is that our business? If it doesn't affect the welfare of Americans, in my opinion, it shouldn't be an issue.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:54 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Unfortunately, with the way our media is, there is no middle ground between not publicizing the story and having it as the lead story every night for a month. I hate our media with a passion. I would rather have had Cheney shoot all of them.

We have come a long way since the glory days of Ron Burgundy.

"I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm kinda a big deal...People know me."

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess the media is lucky they werent hunting with Mr. Vice President. As for attempted murder? That must be the most ludacris comment i have ever heard.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:16 am
All-star
All-star

cheney accidently shooting someone does not effect me. and it shouldnt effect anyone else. yeah i mean it sucks for that guy he shot but it is in no way a "political scandal" (i thought that was a little rediculous)

clinton was a really good president, so who cares who he was sleeping with...as long as he wasnt raping anyone or sleeping with my mom or something i really dont care.

and if your question and response is that our politicians should have good morals...you should 1st rely on yourself for your personal character and integrity and 2nd quit looking for an honest politician because they just dont exist.

my foot is asleep.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If anybody gets shot in the face in the US, it's public knowledge. I think the fact that Cheney has a history of opposing gun control makes this incident even more relevant though.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]