View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The "N" Word 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know we talked a bit about the race issue in our leadership group activity. When I saw this video it got me thinking. Should this teacher be punished? Do you understand his point? Do you agree with him?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/nword.html

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

nope i do not agree with him and i dont understand him. watching that was kinda scary actually...what kind of american institution of education did that man come out of? he sounds like a complete idiot if you ask me...he's got no idea whats going on.

my foot is asleep.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:29 pm
All-star
All-star

After watching the clip on the teacher who used the n-word while addressing a student i was a little stun. I have had a teacher in high school who used the same word, the one ending with an "a", while talking to another student. The student in my school did not think anything of it.
I do think that the teacher is totally wrong for using the word, but I understand his stand that the two words mean two entirely different things. I am not saying that i will use this language when i become a teacher. What i am saying is if that both usages of the word is bad, then the school as a whole needs to install some type of disciplinary measures to all students who use the word "nigga". Why should the teacher be suspended for saying the word but not the students. This i don't understand. The clip did say that they were going to start punishing the children for saying the word, i believe, but the damage has been done. Again, i am not agreeing with the teacher, but him saying that word did get that student's attention. Should the teacher have been suspended? Yes, if that student also got suspended (if he said it). But that is just me. Please, someone tell me i am stupid!

U CAN, UCONN

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this teacher is a brave man. He is standing up for the fact that any interpretation of the word should be banned for classrooms. What would happend if the teacher was black????? ummmmmmmm....nothing. If a girl in classroom cant call another girl in the same classroom a bitch then why should an afro american male be able to call another a "nigga"? Since I'm a male can i call another male a bastard? Negative. You guys might think im a bigest after this post, but i would never let someone call another classmate a cracker in my classroom either.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Since I'm a male can i call another male a bastard?

Only if he's illegitimate and even then you may not want to.

Henry VIII was a bastard...call him out on it.
Go ahead...do it.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:21 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Hate to sound all idealist, but can't we all just get along and stop letting random remarks, that mean nothing, turn into a hate-filled idea.

the fact of the matter is...is that those random remarks do mean something...yeah the word "nigger" describes someone who is ignorant...but has been used for a long time in reference to black people specifically...

the word "bitch" means a female dog...but has been used negatively to refer to women...

the word "bastard"...(the list goes on)you all know the literal meanings of these words and the way they have been used in our society...if we say it's okay to use these words we might as well just say its okay to say: fuck, shit, damn, ass blah blah blah because theyre just words with a negative implication due to society? no, theyre hurtful and disrespectful and shouldnt be used because of the meaning people have given to them for a really long time.

my foot is asleep.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my classroom I plan to prohibit all use of controversial terms. Not only as a teacher will I not use the terms, but also will not allow any of my students to speak in such a manner. If we prohibit all races and genders from using any controversial terms, then we should not have a problem.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definately agree with Burl. I hate the N word and it makes a lot of people uncomfortable. I know a lot of people justify using the word because some african americans use the term when referring to friends. Yes, some african americans refer to each other in those terms. But, what about those african americans who dont like the word and are highly offended by it? As a teacher, I will ban all discriminating labels from my classroom.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also dislike the "N" word very much. I think it's ignorant for people to use it when talking about an African American person and I wish it didn't exist. I've heard it said too many times by family members and friends and I hate it. I won't tolerate the use of that word or any other discriminative/derogatory word in my classroom whatsoever. I hope that schools will implement disciplinary actions when the use of these words occur and maybe that will help put a dent into the ending of them.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I see the point that the teacher is trying to make,but at the same time...HE IS A TEACHER!My black friends have called me that and I understand some black people use it as slang,but for a teacher it is inappropriate..especially for a white one.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my school we honestly had three or four black people. the KKK is still active in many areas (probably more than you know) so if i teach there i'm sure i will run into racism. not to say that all racist whites are in the KKK but anyway. on halloween there was a student that dressed in his sheets and he was imediately thrown out of school, as i think he should have been. i know it offended the few African American students that we had and there is no way that can be tolerated. most of the students in general were bothered by it. i think if the majority of students are the ones shunning the racism that others will listen; their peers can make a bigger impression than an authority figure telling them what not to say. they will just continue say it when theyexit your classroom and in their daily life. as for being a teacher we all know better than to allow that kind of behavior and language. we need to encourage our students who are activists against this kind of behavior to voice their opinion and discuss it with peers, they will make the best impression.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The post above was me, I thought I was logged in! SORRY!

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with those who said the teacher is a brave man. At first I was shocked and appalled at his use of the word, but then I started thinking about how students use derogatory terms like that to refer to each other all the time. Even the word "gay" which we talked about in our leadership group is thrown around in a criticizing way. I think he was trying to make a point, and he did, but he didn't go about it in a way that would offend less people.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Students use these derogatory words all the time, the N word should be banned from everyones mouth. Oprah made a really good point about the use of this word,the fact is is that it refers to those that were black who were lynched and this is still going on today. Why would you want to use such a hatefull term towards your race. The real issue here is that the word can only be used among African Americans if a white person uses it it is derogatory and hatefull. Even if the slang term Nigga is used. A teacher should not conform to slang such as this used by his students but a student should not use this slang and refer to himself as a nigga if he doesn't want to be called it himself from another black person or white. There is more to this story than what the news covers. Yeah the teacher should have never called the boy that but the term Nigga should not be in anyones vocabulary. You can't change its meaning just because it comes from a white man or some one you don't like. Or that is racist on your part. it is a hateful word and should not be aloud in school just like cuss words aren't and have a consiquences for using them so should this word wether it is Nigger or Nigga! I mean honestly!!!! :shock:

What Up Homeslice!

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]