View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Civil? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How ignorant were we as Americans to try to "civilize" Indians? Who is to say that the white culture is civil? Looking at our past we probably should attend schools designed by Indians to become civilized. What do you think?

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah! Who are Americans to say what is civil and what is not? But then it could also be said to missionaries why is christianity the only way to salvation? Why is there only "one way" that is considered right or acceptable?

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a question that has plagued me for a long time, which is why I'm very seriously questioning my religion right now. If I could question my ethnicity I'd probably be doing the same thing to it to. :P

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Who are Americans to say what is civil and what is not?

Might makes right.

Welcome to the new Roman Empire.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree that we are not the ones to "civilize" Indians. This is a very interesting topic that I amlooking forward to discussing more. Not only where they here first - but also I think this is should be about education, not civilization. If someone wants to live culturally the way they know and love then more power to them, but if they would like to do things that might require a different form of knowledge then they need to do what is required to get them there. Everyone is free in the awesome country and I think we should leave it open to ALL people waht they want to do and how.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 pm
All-star
All-star

We see it like this now, but people in the time period would not have seen it this way. Throughout history we see the people with the money and the armies establishing their own view of what is civilized. Take the Huns. They were uncivilized by today's standards, but they conquered everything in Europe but the Roman Empire and forced their views on everyone else. Rodney's example of the Roman Empire. Might truly makes right. It always has, and I don't really see that changing. We can be as idealist as we want, but this is in today's America, where we can speak our minds, express our opinions, and complain about the people in power. If that were done back in the day, you would die. Period.

Ever really looked at the American view of the Native Americans during the nineteenth century? They were subhuman, like the Jews during Hitler's Third Reich. They owned the land that America believed it should. For Germany from 1933, the Jews had the money they thought was theirs. We shuffled the Native Americans from their lands and into Reservations, Hitler shipped off the Jews to Concentration camps. I never really thought America was like the Third Reich until I really looked at Andrew Jackson and Native American policy. Hitler had to have some of Jackson's blood in him.

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43 pm
All-star
All-star

We shuffled the Native Americans from their lands and into Reservations

The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem.

Milton Friedman

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]