View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Education Majors 
All-star
All-star

Being a class of educaiotn majors and a PE major myself, I come to wonder what everyone else in the education department is learning about. I know we all take our general classes together, but I would love hear from those of you in specific feilds other then mine. I know in the PE department we are taught to teach a specific way with specific feedback and reinforcement, even a specific lesson plan layout. What are other majors being taught? Have you had a positive or negative experience??

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm an art ed. major, and the program here at ASU is awesome. We're provided with such diverse practicum. Just this semester I've taught 6th-8th graders, a high school class, and a class of disabled adults. Plus, it's so convenient to have access to the Turchin Center on campus because we get to tour our students through the exhibits and base lessons on the art they get to see.

PS- There's an ART CRAWL this Friday! There's going to be a reception at the Student Art League Gallery in the Wilcox Emporium from 5-7 and there's a reception at the Turchin Centerfrom 7-9. Come look at art and eat free food!

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wish someone would tell me exactly what to do.I am one semester away from graduation and ALL of my education classes have been very similar.Diversity,cultural differences,etc.Nobody has told me yet,"This is how you make a lesson plan."I'm a Teaching Fellow,and without some of the experiences I've had with them then I would be more lost than I am.Anyone had a similar experience?

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm an elementary ed major and I definately know where Murphy is coming from. A lot of my classes have been very useful but I still dont feel prepared enough to enter into my own classroom. I dont understand why we dont take any classes concerning classroom management? I have learned more in my internship at an elementary school than in any of my classes. I guess there is only so much they can teach us in the classes.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There are only so many times I can hear the same information over and over.Classroom management should definitely be stressed.An internship for secondary ed for more than a semester would be better as well.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:11 pm
All-star
All-star

That would be a useful class - maybe classroom management or discipline tactics, or encouragment tactics. It seems we have beaten around the bush in most classes. I understand that we have to learn alot of those things on our own, but I would be very interested in hearing multiple scenarios and multiple reactions.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I spoke to a secondary english education major the other day and their semester of student teaching was the first time they had ever taught a lesson! They felt really unprepared for student teaching because they never had to write lesson plans or anything like that. I'm really stressed this semester because my art ed. course is so demanding and time-consuming but the experience I'm getting the semester is really preparing me for student teaching and having my own classroom later. We have to design semester-long curriculums, work out budgets, learn to write grants, etc.

The College of Education is up for reaccredidation now and they're interviewing students from different programs. Is there anyone else going for an interview on Monday? I wonder what kinds of questions they'll be asking. . .

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Murphy, I totally agree with you. We need a lot more practical instruction and experience.

I still don't really know how to write a lesson plan, and the only thing I've done with classroom management is a group book review in Ed. Psych, which I did with a bunch of Elementary Ed. people, so I didn't get anything out of it. I'd also like to do more discussion on teaching strategies, their strengths and weaknesses, things you need to think about when implementing them, etc.

I think it'd help a lot to have some sections of the classes all ed. majors have to take specially designated for Elementary Ed. and Middle/Secondary Ed. people. Most of my ed. classes end up being geared toward one group or the other anyway (usually Elementary), and I think both groups would benefit from instruction specific to the grade levels they will be working with.

For History - Secondary Ed., I think they should drop the GHY 1010 and SOC 1000 requirements, especially the geography one, and replace them with education classes that address these issues. Or maybe fix CI 2800 so it has some relevance. And we definitely need more classroom experience.

Sorry for the long rant. I guess my basic point is that we need more practical instruction geared toward our grade levels and content areas.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 am
All-star
All-star

As a special ed. major I have had some really good experiences with my program. My professors are great and they are always willing to help. Many of the classes overlap, however. I find much of the information to be the same in most classes. I do like that we get lots of classroom experience though. I am in Block 1 right now and we have classes for 10 weeks and then the last five weeks we are in a school all day, every day. I am at Watauga High School and it is sort of like a mini student teaching. Next semester I will be in Block 2 and will again have another five week practicum in an elementary setting. Since my degree will be K-12, we have to do two big practicums in both grade settings. We can then choose which grade levels we like the best to do our student teaching. I think this has been a great opportunity for me to see how teachers run a classroom everyday. So, I do think that this experience has been positive for me and I am going to feel as prepared as I can when I do my student teaching next spring. I don't think any class or practicum can actually prepare you for life as a real teacher. I think it is something that you just learn with through trail and error.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 pm

I definatly agree with what everyone seems to be saying. I feel like many of my classes could be combined into one or two classes which would leave room for other classes. I think it is amazing how many times I've heard "You must include all students" or "You need to stand up for what you believe" or "You need to do......" and how few times I have heard explicit instructions on how to do all of these things. I definatly think I have learned more in my internship about how to be a teacher than any other class I have been in. I'm also a little nervous because I am taking block II in the summer and will only have 2 weeks in the classroom compared to the month or so other block II classes get.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]