View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Physical Education 
All-star
All-star

Ok so I know that I have said I am goign to be a PE teacher about amillion times but I am just curious what everyone's personal experience and opinion is about Physical Education. Alot of states are trying to cut PE programs out of schools. What do you think should happen? Is acadamia more important then PE? Did you have a good experience in PE? Bad?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I always had great PE teachers throughout my education. Art programs are getting cut a lot too, I mean some first-graders in this county have art once a MONTH for half an hour. My roommate's philosophy is that if they keep cutting the arts and physical education, we're going to end up with schools full of 'fat robots.' Wow Jill, we're really blowing up these message boards, aren't we? Hah!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:43 pm
All-star
All-star

haha yeah that is a sad but true statement about fat robots! hey we gotta blow them up - we are still semi pro penguins!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Why is it that our best programs like PE, the arts ect... get cut first? You would think with all our concerns about the increasing amount of obese children, states would be putting more money into PE. I think it's important, especailly programs like SPARK that encourages increased physically activity throughout life. In the end, it actually saves money because then the government isn't paying for medical needs later in life as a result of poor health.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Not only are physical education and the arts being cut, but social studies and science in elementary schools. Because of the emphasis on standardized testing, some schools spend all of their time teaching subjects that are going to be tested. I am doing an internship in an elementary school in burke county, and I asked the teacher why there is no social studies or science in the schedule. She replied "we havent taught that all year, its not tested so we are focusing on language arts and math." I think that is so sad. Students deserve a well rounded education with PE, arts, social studies, and science. The obsessing over standardized tests has to stop.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is so insane that they totally took everything but language arts and math out of the curriculum! The only time I've ever experienced anything close to that was in 8th grade. My algebra teacher didn't feel like we were ready for the standardized test at the end of the year, so everyone who was taking algebra had two periods of it a day for the last week or so, during the time we were supposed to have science class. At least that was only for a week though, instead of an entire school year.
Do you know what grade they are starting EOGs now? It seems like I was in third grade or so when I had to start taking them.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just from the classes that I have taken here at ASU and now actually witnessing some PE classes in the local schools, I really feel that PE is so important. With all of the health issues and obesity worries in our youth today, I think it would be crazy to cut a PE program. At the school I'm doing my Block I internship at, there is a first grade little boy who is very intelligent, but he gets in trouble a lot in class, I think, because he is bored. So, as punishment, he gets his PE time taken away. I understand that they are taking something away from him that he enjoys, but to take the whole class period away from him everyday is ridiculous. I don't understand why they just can't take like the first five minutes of it away from him. So, yeah, I definitely think that PE class is important--kids need a chance to let out all of that energy they are supposed to keep under control all day long!

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]