View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Religion and Morals 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do you believe that an atheist can be moral? Can you have morality without religion? Can you have religion without morality? I personally believe that both are true. What do you guys think?

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:58 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I believe morality is definately possible without religion. Look at the basic morals in every religion, Don't kill, Don't steal, Dont' hurt other people. Most every religion has the same basic premise, treat others how you would want to be treated. To me that means that the most basic of morals, i.e., the golden rule, is simply a human idea, not passed down from some God or god-like figure.

There are many people I know who are atheistic and I would trust them with my life and there are plenty of my "so-called" religious friends (those who you see at church every sunday) that I would not trust my future children or my nehpews to be around.

Is there morality without religion? Without question.
Is there religion without morality? Another resounding yes.

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:09 pm
All-star
All-star

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:37 am
Profile WWW

I think both are definatly true!! I am definatly not a religious person but I consider myself to be fairly moral. On a side note, I can't stand people who claim to be religious but have no respect for anyone or anything. Don't pretend to be something you are not!!

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree... that both can be true! There are many good, kind people that choose to be that way everyday...but, do not choose to follow any type of religon. I also know many people that go to church when ever the doors are opened...and are really big pains in the butt!

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that someone can be instilled with all the right values and morals and not be religious.I know people who are atheist but I consider them good friends and good people.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:47 pm
All-star
All-star

To answer the original questions, I will have to say there are all kinds of good people in the world of all different beliefs.

I hope that this doesn't take this conversation far from where it started, but what do ya'll think about your conscience? Like, where does it come from?

I believe in God & that He created it in us, but what are your thoughts on that? Its kind of a weird question, but I think its really interesting.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do think that one dosen't have to be religious to have morals, but I do feel that having good morals comes indirectly from love and the Lord above shows us the greatest love of all.

What Up Homeslice!

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with adam wholeheartedly. i have friends that are not religious but they would give anything and everything for me if i needed it. i have friends as well that call themselves christian and attend church simply for their image. they say one thing and act in a totally different way. a lot of time morality does come with religion, but it is not always the case.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]